Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#442517  by Tadman

Although the train was a CSX train, NICTD cameras at the hammond station captured video of a mother racing across the station lot to beat a CSX train to a crossing. She lost, and two of her children are dead now. Footage at www.nwi.com .

Edit: it appears the car was struck by both an eastbound and westbound freights. I hope this tape is played repeatedly nationwide so people learn.

#442552  by PRRGuy

Had I not been volunteering in Noblesville, IN that day. I would have usually been in that lot watching trains.

#442559  by CarterB

Quite obvious from the video that the woman knew exactly what she was doing, as you can see her racing parallel to the train to get ahead of it, then dart across in front of it. Pols may try to blame the railroads and moan about crossing gates, etc., but you can't prevent terminal stupidity.

#442690  by starwardude

As has pretty much been previously stated, what a stupid person.

#443742  by F40CFan

On the news this morning they announced that the woman just died as a result of her injuries, joining her two daughters. Her two sons survived. Hopefully she didn't pass the "stupid gene" on to them. Sad, but that's what you get when you mess with something bigger and more powerful then you.

#443996  by dinwitty

Was the lady driver alert anytime after the accident, any explanations why this?

#444082  by F40CFan

The only thing I saw was that she was in critical condition so she probably didn't do much, if any, talking.

#444106  by pablo

The step father of the kids was home waiting for them all to get home, apparently, from what I read.

I can only wonder why she felt she had to get home so fast.

This will sound awful...but I am glad she (mom) died. However, that's only completely true if those two boys, who did nothing to deserve any of this, have someone to love and care for them. They'll likely never sleep well again.

Dave Becker

#444168  by F40CFan

I think they should take the remains of the vehicle and put it on display at the crossing with a sign that says; "This is what happened to the last fool who thought they could beat a train through this crossing".
 #675023  by fauxcelt

My great-grandfather was one of the first people in the small town of Cordell (population 2,867)in western Oklahoma to buy a Model "T" Ford and he was very proud of his car. Unfortunately, though, great-grandpa was a little too proud of his Model "T" and thought it could run faster than it actually could. There is a grade crossing a few miles north of Cordell and great-grandpa made the mistake of thinking he could beat the train across the tracks with his fancy new car. Instead, he wrecked his car and lost his life. The tracks and the highway are still there. Several years ago, one of my cousins who lives in Cordell showed me where great-grandpa got killed. The highway was a dirt and gravel road when my great-grandfather got killed and now it is a paved road. I don't know who owns the tracks now but the tracks are still there and and still in use.
 #675183  by dinwitty

the situation is just about always the same, you think you can beat it.
Put the brakes on and enjoy the ride watching the train pass, It'll be past in just a few..!!!