Railroad Forums 

• Car Floats

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#624038  by Tracer

So what existing car floats are left?
I think i saw a car float operation in trains magazine across the Chesapeake bay a few years back, is that still around? How about that one in New york? How often do they operate? What else is still around?

I think otto will like the name change :-D
 #624128  by westr

The Milwaukee Road ran carfloats from Seattle to Port Townsend on the Olympic Peninsula to reach Port Angeles. This continued into the 1980s as the Seattle & North Coast.

Until 1908, Northern Pacific used a ferry to cross the Columbia River between Kalama, Washington and Goble, Oregon as part of the Seattle-Portland line.
 #626183  by scharnhorst

CP Rail used to run floats from Ontario to Michigan right up till the windser tunnel opened on CN.

I beleve that the Alaska Railroad in one of the last remaining Class 2 Railroads still running Car Floats along the West Coast.
Last edited by scharnhorst on Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #635198  by ajt

Was there a normal prototype practice when loading carfloats, to keep them from tipping over?

Using the Walthers 3 track float as an example, would the center track get loaded first, then alternate one car on the left track, one on the right, and repeat until those two tracks were loaded?
 #635205  by RS112556

Main objective was to keep everything balanced by loading cars according to weight. Idler cars were employed between the cars being loaded and the locomotive so it wouldn't have to go on the ramps or the carfloat itself.
Jim
 #635619  by Otto Vondrak

[Since the question is not directly related to Model Railroading, it was moved to the General Discussion: Railroad Operations & Facilities Forum. Enjoy! -omv]
 #635759  by David Benton

on the train ferries here , i believe the center tracks are loaded first , then alternating sides from the center out . but they also can trim the ballast ( pump water in / out of holding tanks below deck ) to maintain a level ship .
Incidentally , a complete unload / load is done in the one hour turnaround time .

( edited for spelling mistakes ).
 #638981  by DutchRailnut

Well its not like there is any railroad near it anymore.
 #639747  by Tadman

For the record, I'm a big Lake Michigan Carferry fan. I take the boat every few years across and enjoy it. Today, the following remains:

1. C&O / Pere Marquette: Spartan (laid up Ludington, MI), Badger (summer tourist use only), PM41 (barge, former City of Midland 41, frequent use)
2. Ann Arbor: Viking (laid up Menominee, MI), Arthur K. Atkinson (laid up, St. Ignace, MI)
3. GTW: City of Milwaukee (laid up, Manistee, MI; being restored by NFP group; still painted for Annie - it was leased when AKA was laid up) www.carferry.com

Boats listed as laid-up will likely never return to service - Spartan's engines are cannibalized to keep Badger running, AKA is rotting and has been vandalized and cannot even use shore power, Viking is privately owned by KK Logistics. CofM may sail some day but that's years off.
 #640505  by pjb

:-D
The Walthers' carfloat has a faux switch on board which makes loading
a problematic thing. The plastic rails are not a bad idea, since they are
reasonably representative when worked over with paint. By the same token
replacing them wouldn't be a bad idea, but using a flexible cement that would
not have a solvent base which would attack the float's plastic is a MUST. ACC
or some similar inflexible adhesive will fail (even if it doesn't have a built
in lifespan shorter than us, like ACC) because of the differential expansion rates
of the plasticbarge and metallic rail.

The fact that your float isn't floating in water, makes the loading/unloading
pattern moot, but....
So to duplicate reality, for modelling purposes, you would first have the weights
of each pseudocarload (i.e. at this time and place -which reflects weights of
loaded or light cars).
Your conductor/dockmaster will have this in his papers (waybills) and plots the
apron work accordingly. Switchers did use empty idlers cars, but they also
came unto the bridge ramps on many occasions, and also sometimes were
carried from point to point on the carfloats. Currently this is done in NYC
harbor because the operator cannot keep the loco from vandals at one end
of the line, because they don't have a 24/7 manned yard there .

In the past they also travelled, for maintanance reasons in order
to be shopped, as well as when they served a landing point without a local engine.
Non-Railroad carfloat operators were the most likely to find themselves in
this position, but common carriers served isolated private points. If
you plan to have a pike where the carfloat operations are the sink and
source for all the freight cars handled (say, in lieu of hidden yards),
then you might consider using one of the carshunters available, or building one
appropriate to your timeline, as these can be carried easily on the float.
The stock yard operators with carfloat operations are an example of this type
of operation.They also are an example of carrying freight, in their case
livestock on the hoof, as deck cargo on carfloats. So make sure you have a
sturdy safety railings on your carfloats, and you can deliver them to shambles
and abattoirs around your docks. Better yet, to those offsite a few
imaginary blocks away , so you can herd them down the street. Because, that
is what was done in Brooklyn, Philadelphia, and various other places that had
a mounted herder from the shambles, and a Judas goat meet the
barge and lead its cargo through the streets. Not pigs, of course, they were
too smart to fall for this routine.

In loading railcars, they would normally have fully unloaded the float first,
and even if there were through cars going beyond this point to a second
yard elsewhere they would also be unloaded to adjust for keeping the
float level, and to facilitate unloading at whatever was the next site.
So lots of dockside planning went into arranging the cars by weights and
destinations (if there was intermediate stops)in order to safely transport
railcars by car float.
Good-Luck, peter Boylan
 #644207  by SlowFreight

Wasn't there also a carfloat operation from Mexico up to either Galveston or New Orleans in the last 10 years? I remember reading something about it hauling rack flats of new autos, and maybe carloads of Corona. I think the market was for traffic that didn't want to get tied up at one of the Texas gateways.
 #799046  by Tadman

This month's Trains Mag has an article about a carfloat from Alabama to Puerto Rico, where the tank cars are unloaded and transloaded to truck, then led back to Alabama on the car float. Amazing it crosses the Gulf of Mexico via barge and tug, while Lake Michigan had to be crossed by full-on ship.
 #799364  by scharnhorst

Tadman wrote:This month's Trains Mag has an article about a carfloat from Alabama to Puerto Rico, where the tank cars are unloaded and transloaded to truck, then led back to Alabama on the car float. Amazing it crosses the Gulf of Mexico via barge and tug, while Lake Michigan had to be crossed by full-on ship.

The great lakes are a bit more dangerous to cross being smaller than an ocean they tend to have much higher waves during real bad gails much like the ones that rocked the Edmond Fitzgearld in November of 1975.