• Canastota passenger station

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by lvrr325

Can anyone point me at a source for good photos or even drawings of the former passenger station, which stood where the elevated ROW now is in Canastota, NY? I managed to find a link to a value guide site which had captured an eBay auction of a postcard view, but wondered if it was in any books - with the model RR magazine index gone, there's no easy way to look.

This station also served the Lehigh Valley and West Shore/interurban (it was a little unusual in that the LV track passed between the front of the station and the NYC's own tracks).
  by urrengr2003

Look on page #71 of a book called THE GANGLY COUNTRY COUSIN by Herbert V. Trice. The entire book is devoted to the Auburn Division of the Lehigh Valley. The photo clearly show both the NYC Main Line & West Shore (with third rail). The tower & the crossing at grade on the West Shore are clearly visible. A lot of track in a confined space with the LV crossing the West Shore at grade and the turning abruptly to parallel the south side of the NYC Main Line.

Although not the subject of this post allow me to take the opportunity to mention that my grandfather spent 54 years in engine service for this carrier on the Auburn Division.
  by lvrr325

Boy, that last pic out of the first three would be nice to have blown up to 11x17 or so, it's not 100% straight on but I think it's close enough you could use it to figure the dimensions out to make drawings for a model.

Am I wrong in thinking this one is an odd design even for the NYC to have that bay on the top of it, was that a tower for switches on the mainline?