Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1024687  by steve4031

I was looking at the menus on via's website and saw that there were only two meals served on that day. Brunch and dinner. How does this work?

Is it possible to buy sandwiches in the skyline car?
 #1024774  by NS VIA FAN

steve4031 wrote:I was looking at the menus on via's website and saw that there were only two meals served on that day. Brunch and dinner. How does this work?

Is it possible to buy sandwiches in the skyline car?
The Canadian is in Jasper from 1 to 2:30 so the stopover would straddle lunch time. Some people complain they are missing a meal but on my last trip, I liked the option of the morning brunch, a chance to sample something local while wandering around town during the stop then another great meal that evening. Believe me......on the Canadian, you are more than adequately fed!

And yes, you can buy sandwiches in the coach skyline, but why?......there is always fruit, muffins, pastries, coffee, tea etc set out in the Park Car to help yourself.
 #1024893  by marquisofmississauga

NS VIA FAN wrote:
steve4031 wrote:...on the Canadian, you are more than adequately fed!

And yes, you can buy sandwiches in the coach skyline, but why?......there is always fruit, muffins, pastries, coffee, tea etc set out in the Park Car to help yourself.
That was my experience as well. There was plenty to eat in the Park car that particular morning - more than most mornings - and there should be hors d'oeuvres in the late afternoon just prior to the first sitting for dinner. I say "should" because on my last trip there was a lazy sod working the Park car and he rarely put out anything without being asked. He was very pleasant though, so when you asked for the coffee pot or hot water jug to be re-filled he would do so without delay. Both nights we had to ask about the hors d'oeuvres and he retrieved them from the fridge. Oh well, an almost-frozen canapé is better than none at all. As NS VIA Fan says, passengers are well-fed.

Does anyone remember the late 1990s when the eastbound Canadian got into Jasper at an awkward time for dining car service? There was a buffet brunch in the diner. A few tables, I think in the centre of the diner, were used for the food and due to limited seating most passengers had to take their plates away, most of them presumably to their sleeper accommodations. The Canadian may seem like a smooth train when you have two hands to hold on to railings, but I recall a trail of food and broken china - especially in the vestibules. This buffet service was soon discontinued and the Canadian was re-timed to depart Vancouver earlier so it got into Jasper at a time when passengers wouldn't need a mid-day meal.