Railroad Forums 

• CAN I GET DATES ASAP FOR THE FOLLOWING ON THE DL&W/E-L?

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#266269  by DonPevsner

(1)Removal of rails over Dansville Hill between Wayland and Groveland,NY. (I have heard about 1963, but would like to pin this down accurately.)

(2)Confirm date the DL&W finished its line from Binghamton to
Buffalo was 1883, or correct.

(3)Confirm date the DL&W built a connection from its mainline at
Groveland to the Dansville & Mount Morris there was 1933, or correct.

(4)Date the Dansville & Mount Morris was torn up from Mount Morris
to the DL&W connection at Groveland, and the DL&W tracks were
used instead from Mount Morris to Groveland.

Thank you.

#266522  by TB Diamond

1.) DL&W MT Wayland-Groveland, 14 miles, abandoned in 1963.

4.) Dansville & Mt. Morris Mt. Morris-Sonyea, 3 miles, abandoned in 1939.
Dansville & Mt. Morris Groveland-Sonyea, 4 miles, abandoned in 1943.

Will dig deeper soon unless more complete information is posted.
 #266676  by calorosome

DonPevsner wrote:(1)Removal of rails over Dansville Hill between Wayland and Groveland,NY. (I have heard about 1963, but would like to pin this down accurately.)
I think it was later than 1963 - I've seen pics online of a railfan trip in Dansville in late 1963.
(2)Confirm date the DL&W finished its line from Binghamton to
Buffalo was 1883, or correct.
I believe that was completed in 1888.

#266694  by TB Diamond

Additional information:

1.) DL&W MT Wayland-Groveland, NY removed in 1964.

3.) Connection between the D&MtM and DL&W at Groveland placed in service on June 8, 1933.

4.) The date given in the post of July 7 for the abandonment of the Mt. Morris-Sonyea segment is incorrect as the last D&MtM train to depart Mt. Morris for Dansville operated on January 24, 1940. This was four days after the Erie abandoned their line Mt. Morris-Avon.

All of this information is from THE ERIE RAILROAD ROCHESTER DIVISION by the late William R. Gordon.

#266765  by JoeG

Taber says the Binghamton-Buffalo extension was finished in 1883; he gives various 1883 dates. Some freights were getting through in December 1882. The official first train was January 17, 1883, but the extension wasn't considered finished and was not suitable for passenger trains. An official train of private cars ran on May 11, 1883. Regular passenger service started May 14, 1883.