Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#39879  by Ken V

I've always felt that returning trains between Calgary and Edmonton would be one of the best moves that could be made in terms of rail transportation in this country. It seems the Government of Canada and, especially, the Province of Alberta don't agree. As long as Ralph Klein and his cohorts are in charge, I don't see it happening.

#40026  by AmtrakFan

Ken V wrote:I've always felt that returning trains between Calgary and Edmonton would be one of the best moves that could be made in terms of rail transportation in this country. It seems the Government of Canada and, especially, the Province of Alberta don't agree. As long as Ralph Klein and his cohorts are in charge, I don't see it happening.
I would agree with it would be the Best move for Canada's Transpertation Service.

AmtrakFan
 #42402  by Guest

While rail service between Calgary, the fastest growing city in Canada, and Edmonton, the provincial capital, seems a natural, nothing is going to happen without a major capital expediture. When VIA trains last operated on this route, they terminated in South Edmonton, well south of the downtown area, and south of the North Saskatchewan River. While the railroad bridge over the North Saskatchewan River is still there, the railroad approaching it from the south and beyond the bridge, through a tunnel and into downtown Edmonton is gone. All this would have to be rebuilt. And given that the people of Edmonton allowed their downtown CN station to lose Edmonton's remaining passenger train (the Canadian) in lieu of a new station north of the airport which isn't convenient to anything (yet still is a stub-end station for today's Canadian), I'm not to encouraged that things are going to change for the better any time soon.

#42457  by LI Loco

Even though Calgary and Edmonton are two large cities less than 200 miles apart, there are few cities of consequence in between. Hence, drivers have little to fear in the way of congestion and can easily make the trip in around three hours.

This also means a lack of significant intermediate station stops to feed short-haul traffic, which is a trait of successful corridors in the U.S. and eastern Canada.

#44854  by The Caternary Type

Definetly Calgary, maybe even to banff (Hello Tourists!)
 #46447  by cpr_trains

I respecfully disagree. The problem with rail service between Edmonton and Calgary is not summed up in governmental red tape or a lack of desire to promote business and commuter traffic between the Cities or a lack of station stops.

The problem is a historic one with regards to rail service in this corridor and is one of the main reasons the Edmonton-Calgary train was scrubbed from the timetable many years ago - accidents at the over 150 level crossings on the CP Red Deer Subdivision.

When CP and eventually VIA operated an RDC over the line, it was fraught with so many level crossing accidents which ultimately led to its demise.

#46486  by missthealcos

Yes, this is very true, the grade crossing accidents on this line with the RDC's
were horrendously frequent.

#46511  by LI Loco

Assuming 12 seconds for each --o-, that's over 36 minutes if horn blowing for the entire trip. If you divide 200 by 150, that one whistle blowing every 80 seconds. You can't fall asleep. :wink:
 #46650  by marquisofmississauga

cpr_trains wrote:I respecfully disagree. The problem with rail service between Edmonton and Calgary is not summed up in governmental red tape or a lack of desire to promote business and commuter traffic between the Cities or a lack of station stops.

The problem is a historic one with regards to rail service in this corridor and is one of the main reasons the Edmonton-Calgary train was scrubbed from the timetable many years ago - accidents at the over 150 level crossings on the CP Red Deer Subdivision.

When CP and eventually VIA operated an RDC over the line, it was fraught with so many level crossing accidents which ultimately led to its demise.
I recall thinking at the time of the discontinuance of this service that it is a real shame that because of a relative few idiot motorists the potential of these trains could never be reached.

#58839  by downbeat

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... lberta_col

Yahoo! News/Reuters:
A new study suggests high-speed rail is feasible in Alberta.

#58966  by Ken V

Here's another story from the Globe and Mail