Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1321108  by 4400Washboard

Head-end View wrote:Thanks for the update. I might give it a try tomorrow afternoon, Thursday, if nothing else comes up.

More news:

Spotted 1914 at 1:15ish. 1954 is a possible candidate

I don't know what the hell is up with R142A #7340's horn, but it sure sounds weird (On 7 line)
 #1321163  by Head-end View

You beat me to it TJ. I had a very successful afternoon's riding and picked up a few more numbers. Flushing-bound I rode #1954 (Express) from Times Square about 3:30 which was a surprise since you hadn't had that one on the list. Returned from Main. St./Flushing on a local with #2051. Bad afternoon sun glare though, but at least no maintenance related speed restrictions.

And I spotted an additional Manhattan-bound corner-cab #2111. In fact that was on the opposite end of #1914's train. A real good day of riding unlike last summer. Any possibility they're actually converting back to corner-cabs since there seem to be more of them lately?
 #1321197  by Fan Railer

Head-end View wrote:You beat me to it TJ. I had a very successful afternoon's riding and picked up a few more numbers. Flushing-bound I rode #1954 (Express) from Times Square about 3:30 which was a surprise since you hadn't had that one on the list. Returned from Main. St./Flushing on a local with #2051. Bad afternoon sun glare though, but at least no maintenance related speed restrictions.

And I spotted an additional Manhattan-bound corner-cab #2111. In fact that was on the opposite end of #1914's train. A real good day of riding unlike last summer. Any possibility they're actually converting back to corner-cabs since there seem to be more of them lately?
No. Those are just the cabs that they haven't done yet. With all the R62As assigned to Corona scheduled to be shuffled back to mainline, they will all eventually be converted to full width cabs before being transferred.
 #1323451  by 4400Washboard

Head-end View wrote:You beat me to it TJ.
I see you remember my old username :-)
Head-end View wrote:I had a very successful afternoon's riding and picked up a few more numbers. Flushing-bound I rode #1954 (Express) from Times Square about 3:30 which was a surprise since you hadn't had that one on the list.
Awesome. Let's add 1934 too. 1914 and 2051 are still half cabs too.
Head-end View wrote:A real good day of riding unlike last summer.
*thumbs up*
Head-end View wrote: Any possibility they're actually converting back to corner-cabs since there seem to be more of them lately?
That would be awesome... Like Fan Railer, I don't see a reason they would be un-converting cabs. First from the operator's perspective, I would assume they'd want more space and would object to the tiny closet that is called the corner cab. Second, all the cabs would have to be made full for the 6 line so it would be a waste of money to un-convert them, and then re-convert them.

See Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE0EOIqwiQI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Recent News:

Finally got to spot 7211 on the 7 line. Sad that already a conversion is having trouble (The front 7 didn't light up)

Full List Of Corner Cabs:

#1325055  by 4400Washboard

Here are some more that I saw during rr.net's absence:

2081 (Please confirm this)
 #1326224  by 4400Washboard

Yesterday (4/13/15), I saw that 1914 has been moved to the center of the train. 1954 was moved in to 1914s former place.
 #1337655  by Head-end View

I rode this afternoon and noted some changes. Cars 2141, and 2111 are now buried in the middle of their trains. But car 2051 is still leading Manhattan-bound and 1934 continues to lead Flushing-bound, both still with corner-cab configuration. For as long as it lasts.......
 #1337788  by Head-end View

Excellent quality video! And a good ride too. At least when the corner-cabs are finally gone, we can still watch your video. Good job FanRailer!
 #1337873  by flexliner

it is my vague recollection that the R62 or was it 62A had the possibility of moving some panels near the cab
and the cab door - creating a "temporary" full width cab
can anyone describe or show in picture or sketch how this was done?
 #1337920  by Head-end View

Not exactly "temporary". They are convertible cabs. That is they can be set up as either full-width or corner cabs as you said, by moving some panels etc. And regrettably, they are mostly set up as full-width cabs these days.
 #1340507  by flexliner

Any photos of how they looked full and corner?
When full what happened to the 2 seats left front opposite the corner cab were they inside the full one after conversion?
 #1341019  by Fan Railer

flexliner wrote:Any photos of how they looked full and corner?
When full what happened to the 2 seats left front opposite the corner cab were they inside the full one after conversion?
Those seats are removed.