Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

Besides testing two trucks the following cars were at the Shelter Road facility, SRS 125, SRS 128 and SRS 116 ??? not completly sure of last number, it appears SRS is getting ready for lots of work this spring.
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Noel Weaver

I thought I heard somewhere that SRS was going to replace most of their
railcars with trucks that could run on the rails or on roads. I think they
were planning to put their people who accompany these cars up in hotels
enroute and just shut down the trucks at night and on weekends.
Wondering if these cars at Danbury might be all done.
Noel Weaver

by DutchRailnut

A few cars are still required, the trucks don't fit on third rail equipped track for example.

by Noel Weaver

DutchRailnut wrote:A few cars are still required, the trucks don't fit on third rail equipped track for example.
Very true and there are remote areas where the trucks would not work
out either.
Noel Weaver

by harmon44

There is a short article on Sperry trucks in the new Trains magazine. It soes not address the hotel vs. car info.

by Lirr168

DutchRailnut wrote:A few cars are still required, the trucks don't fit on third rail equipped track for example.
Is this a problem specifically with MN third rail track? I only ask because I swear I have seen trucks on the LIRR in third rail territory.

by DutchRailnut

You see trucks on MNCR too but not with rail detector gear under the truck plus highrail gear.
not enough clearance, and a sure kill for the crew.
both MNCR and LIRR use the detector rail cars sperry has.

by Lirr168

DutchRailnut wrote:You see trucks on MNCR too but not with rail detector gear under the truck plus highrail gear.
not enough clearance, and a sure kill for the crew.
both MNCR and LIRR use the detector rail cars sperry has.
That makes complete sense, I forgot about the rail detector gear. Thanks for the clarification, Dutch.