Railroad Forums 

• Bushwick Branch

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #539888  by Amtrak7

After reading the oldNYC tour of the Bushwick branch, it looks in terrible condition. What customers does this line serve and how frequent are movements? I know that they put back the crossbucks, but what about the pavement surfaces (metal plates)

#539967  by DogBert

mostly trash - C&D debris from waste management & that other customer by the scott av footbridge + lumber & brick or whatever is going into the Bush Team track at the end of the line. the line used to be run at night, no idea what's the current operation & how the customers are doing.

I'd assume with the downturn in real estate there might be less C&D coming out and less lumber going in. City building permits are down 50% compared to last year... is this effecting the RR at all?
 #862285  by Teutobergerwald

Caught a Fresh Pond-bound train, mostly boxcars, this morning around 1130 crossing over Flushing Avenue. By chance I just happened to be there. Didn't see the power, but I assume it was an SW-1001 or MP-15ac. It was the first time seeing the recently installed flashers at the crossings activated.
 #862644  by R36 Combine Coach

Recently the Bloomberg administration opened a new Sanitation transfer station on the Branch that would sort waste from most of Brooklyn into containers and then load them onto trains to out-of-state locations.
 #1074260  by DogBert

Old thread, but worth revisiting. I pass through this area often.

The bush has gotten a bit more busy over the past few months. Aside from WM's MSW operation (yields anywhere from 5 to 15 cars a day, 5-6 days a week), there's a customer that gets an occasional boxcar at the end of stewart ave (street dead ends right at the track, acts as a loading dock), and someone getting cables and pipes at the front of the old Bushwick yard, btw. Morgan ave and kings lumber. They come in with a truck and rented crane to unload the gons and lumber flats. There seem to be 4-5 cars in there every time I pass. Kings lumber now has a ready mix facility that receives some of the tilcon stone cars.
I believe western beef is also still taking reefers, though their siding is a bit away from the streets.

The large, newish building on Varick ave opposite WM which had a new siding put in maybe a year ago still has not taken a car, so far as I can see. Also haven't seen tankers next to that building east of Morgan ave in a long time. Overall though things seem up, just on the ready mix customer alone.
 #1074287  by mikey cruz

Now that the newer float facility in Bklyn is in use hopefully everyone will start gettin more cars, as long as prices & travel times go down of course.