Railroad Forums 

• builder's Plans for #14 or #18

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#386133  by Benjamin Maggi

I am interested in eventually building a live steam (7.25 inch gauge) model of #14 and a 1:29 scale model of #18 (and maybe #14 too, but first #18).

Does anyone have builders plans for these engines somewhere? I read on another post of another team that built #14 in live steam, so presumably they either took their own measurements or had a plan.

Anyone? Thanks! :-D

#386545  by jgallaway81

Ben, a father/son team from the Niagara Frontier Live Steamers have twin version of 14...

One is detailed in her Ecanaba & Lake Superior and the other as A&A #14.

You want to contact Joe Tanski from Cheektowaga.

If you can make it to the train show at the Hamburg fairgrounds look for the NFLS display in the far back right corner.

#386685  by Benjamin Maggi

Thanks Jason. I knew about the engines being built by a father/son team, but I did not know their names or the location. I tried looking up the club, and also him personally, and could not find any contact information. Might you have any?

I just spent the day at the Adirondack Live Steamers club laying out a new mainline with John Camerota, and my desire to build a live steam version of #14 is really high. If only my finances were too!

#386696  by jgallaway81

Ben, I know the feeling... I always wanted to build 18 as I like consolidations better then ten-wheelers. But I have niether the funds, skill, machinery, nor the metal to turn into scrap to get the skills.

My goal is to eventually built in 1 1/2" scale a model of my liquid hydrogen turbine, which uses twin DASH-9 frames, and a GP-38 frame as a fuel tender.

I have an email into him asking if its okay if I pass it on to you

#386719  by Benjamin Maggi

Jason, that's fine. You also have mine, so you can give him mine if you want and then he can decide if he wants to initiate. That way, he doesn't have to give his up.

As to #18... I am only modeling that in 1:29 instead of #14 is because no ten-wheeler is usable in 1:29 (no, I am not big-hauling it!), and because I like #14 better.

If you ever get that turbine built in live steam, you will have to take pictures. We are making the mainline 65 radius curves minimum, and I don't think that would even support your engine!

#386772  by jgallaway81

The turbine is a protofreelance upgrade to the old UP A+B+Fuel Tender 8,500hp turbines number 1-30.

#393225  by jgallaway81

Ben, thought you'd like this picture of 14 getting her firebox cleaned out after a good hearty run.

#393434  by Benjamin Maggi

Teasing the poor boy... that isn't nice! I have not heard from them yet, so I bet they are busy this spring working on their engines and other such things.

#453165  by jgallaway81

Ben, did you ever hear back from Joe?

If so, please enliten me as to the response to getting 14's blueprints.. I'd like to get side versions for information to complete my drawing of 14.

#453389  by Benjamin Maggi

I have contacted him through other online forums and personal mail, but have not yet received any responses. I don't know what else to try. Perhaps I will mail him again this week. I know he is busy with his employment and other such things. If I hear back from him, I will let you know.

#453390  by Benjamin Maggi

I have contacted him through other online forums and personal mail, but have not yet received any responses. I don't know what else to try. Perhaps I will mail him again this week. I know he is busy with his employment and other such things. If I hear back from him, I will let you know.

#453524  by jgallaway81

Ben I have news...

An engineer I work with on the run from Altoona to Conway (he was my mentor while I was a locomotive engineer trainee) said he read through one of the live steam forums he belongs to that Joe's family moved.

I didn't get done with my helper run today until late, but if I can, I'm gonna try calling a couple club members back home and see if I can glisten any information.

I'll let you know what I find out.

#453998  by Benjamin Maggi

That would be great. He did not make it up to the Adirondack Live Steamers this year (probably because of our insurance issues) so I never got to meet him or see his engine. I also heard he was a member of the Niagara Live Steamers, but trying to contact him through that organization did not work either.

If you can get any information, that would be great.

Thanks!

#464218  by Benjamin Maggi

Thanks Steve. If you happen to see Joe, could you pass along my name or mention this forum? I wonder if he never received my letters.