Railroad Forums 

• Buffalo Line Questions

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#950142  by GP-30Kid

I just have a few questions about the Western New York and Pennsylvania"s buffalo line from Machias Jct to Driftwood (or North Driftwood). How many trains a day or week does the WNY&P run between those two points, and when they do.....when generally is a good time to catch them. What times do they run them through and when are good times to catch them. Not sure if WNY&P goes by first or second trick operators or just one crew per day. Also, how much interchange do they have with NS and B&P at those areas specifically driftwood, olean, and machias and what are they primarily interchanging. Finally, what is the status of the signals along the line. I know B&P uses them from buffalo to machias and NS uses them from driftwood south to renovo, but all day today i noticed that not one set of signals was on today. Why is that? How much stuff is interchanging between NS and B&P at driftwood. Seems to me that it would make much more sense for WNY&P operations to be extended all the way to renovo. That is unless NS has a lot of interchange with the B&P at driftwood
 #957760  by ckwwestshore

First off, let's talk schedules. There is no single train that runs the entire section of the Buffalo Line that WNYP owns. The line to machias is strictly as-needed service. I'm not sure if there are actually customers there, or if it is just interchange with B&P. There are two trains you will see on the Olean-Driftwood section. DFT, the Driftwood Turn, generally runs 6 days a week (last I knew, not positive on that) to Driftwood and back with 3-4 big 6 Axle Alcos. He leaves Olean in the early afternoon, and returns in darkness. It usually hits darkness around Port Allegany area going north. The other train is the local that goes south to Larabee and then off onto the Farmers Valley branch, OL-2 I believe. I'm not sure when that runs, but I think it is on some kind of schedule. I think it also works Port Allegany. Hope this helps!

Charlie Wood
 #957763  by ckwwestshore

Let me pick apart your post question by question here...

"Also, how much interchange do they have with NS and B&P at those areas specifically driftwood, olean, and machias and what are they primarily interchanging. "

It is seasonal. In late spring into early fall, the interchange is monstrous due to Hawbaker's being in operation in Turtlepoint. I believe most of the Machias interchange is stone/ballast, not sure if it is Hawbaker's or not though. And there is also sand traffic as well, not sure what else. NS and B&P interchange some mixed freight, but mostly unit coal trains. NS runs light engines up and picks up the cars on the siding brought in by B&P train PSDB.

"Finally, what is the status of the signals along the line. I know B&P uses them from buffalo to machias and NS uses them from driftwood south to renovo, but all day today i noticed that not one set of signals was on today. Why is that?"

The signals are taken out of commission from DRIFT (just north of NORTH DRIFTWOOD) to SOUTH OLEAN, and from NORTH OLEAN to MACHIAS. Most of them are supposed to be removed soon. SO basically except for the controlled points in Olean, and the interchanges, everything is dark.

Hope that helps, and send me a message if you need anything else!

Charlie
 #976721  by GP-30Kid

Thank You so much for the help. Sorry for the late response but your insight has been most helpful. I just have a quick question reguarding NS in Driftwood. Would happen to know anyone or know anyone who would have any contacts (e-mail, phone numbers, etc) to any of the workmen woring out of the MW buildings next to the tracks in Driftwood. I have some questions that i would like to ask and was just wondering if you knew anybody there. Thanks
 #979500  by ckwwestshore

NS owns all of that, and I don't have the contacts to speak with them, and I honestly recommend against pursuing it, just because NS isn't exactly railfan friendly, and I think it may do more harm than good. What are your questions? Maybe I or the other folks here can help out...feel free to PM me if you like.

Good luck!

Charlie Wood
 #981867  by GP-30Kid

When i was there i noticed a lot of older milepost signs and position signal (PCL's) targets sitting back in the weeds with other various pieces of older equipment. I was wondering if they were planning on discarding those things or if they were just taken down because their getting rid of them soon. If that's the case, i would love to get ahold of someone to see if there was no longer use for them if i could obtain those things as Ive been trying to find milepost signs and older signals now for while buts its becoming increasingly harder with security and such. I would never steal or even thing about taking without permission. so if you know of anyone or even you who knows where and when the railroads are discarding equipment or even the scrap dealers they are dealing with where they send all of their scrap, it would be amazingly appreciated and helpful. Since you told me they are planning on taking down the pcl's soon, I'm curious if they have already started and if so where they are sending them to be discarded. Hope to talk with you soon.