Railroad Forums 

• Brooklyn Terminal Market: What's Going On?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

#519271  by BMT

Pennsy, thanks for that interesting info about the Q Boats....that was alittle before my time, but no doubt one or two of those boats are still afloat in Sheepshead Bay.

#519309  by pennsy

Hi BMT,

If you are into fishing off a large boat, deep sea fishing etc. Head for Emmons Ave. Sheepshead bay, and just wander among the boats. Look for the boats with a plaque from WWII and take your pick. Then listen to the "Tall Tales" while you fish and drink beer etc. etc. You might even catch your dinner.

#519325  by BMT

Oh, one other detail I forgot to mention earlier: About 10 or 15 years ago the Marine Parkway Bridge was renamed Gil Hodges Memorial Bridge. IIRC, Mrs. Hodges was annoyed with Hagstroms (and the city) because they did not make the change until a few years ago, even though the ceremony was, like I said, about a dozen or more years ago.

Mrs. Hodges still lives in a mini-mansion on Bedford Avenue near Avenue L (the block renamed Gil Hodges Way). A few years ago, she was named an 'Official Ambassador' of Brooklyn by the Brooklyn Borough President, Marty Markowitz.

#519415  by pennsy

And don't forget the Little League baseball field also in the area. Guess what that field was named ? That one goes back many, many years. Yup, it is Gil Hodges Field.

#519598  by BMT

And Gil Hodges Lanes lives on in Mill Basin's Strickland Ave.