Railroad Forums 

• Bronson Hill Rd. Bridge over the LA&L

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#185118  by avonrailfan62

Does anyone remember that old bridge? What year was it taken out and the gap filled in instead of building a new bridge? I have memories of crossing that old bridge that as I recall was a one lane wooden plank style bridge! It's very hard to imagine a one lane wooden bridge on this now very busy county road that has a very high volumne of traffic nowadays!

#185159  by railwatcher

Is the grain storage facility still in operation by that bridge? Is it seeing regular railcar shipments? The facility in Avon hasn't had a railcar in awhile. And are they owned by the same ownership?

Isnt there still some tracks on the east side of the bridge, now not accessible?

#185187  by dj_paige

railwatcher wrote:Is the grain storage facility still in operation by that bridge? Is it seeing regular railcar shipments? The facility in Avon hasn't had a railcar in awhile. And are they owned by the same ownership?
I was down there on 12/30/04, the grain storage facility looked like it was in good operational shape and there were railcars next to the facility. (I can't tell you how long the railcars were there or how many cars they received a year). Photo here.
railwatcher wrote:Isnt there still some tracks on the east side of the bridge, now not accessible?
I looked for trackage to the east of Bronson Hill Road, but I couldn't see any, but even in the winter, the brush obscured a good look at the ROW.

--
Paige
"It's nothing until I call it" -- Bill Klem, NL Umpire and native Rochesterian
 #185652  by Matt Langworthy

I forget the name of the grain elevator but it definitely receives regular service from LAL. I've seen the composition of the cars change over the course of several days and LAL still brings covered hoppers north to Henrietta. My LAL video (from Erievalley) shows one of the switchers "drilling" the stub.

I've never seen any tracks on the east side of Bronson Hill Road. The story goes that the state forced LAL to remove all trackage east of Bronson Hill Road so it could fill in the gap rather than build a more expesnive bridge. In return, the state funded some rehabilitation of the rest of LAL.