Railroad Forums 

• Brightline Grade Crossing Incidents

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

#1597148  by Gilbert B Norman

Well, at least no injuries.

I've seen it myself when "down there". Gates and signals; just some kind of impediment to keep one from getting there.

There are few curves and no grades to speak of in South Florida. If you must "run the gate" for whatever convoluted reason you dream up, at least "look and listen".

Off this topic, some of the reported Brightline passenger counts are distressingly low. Lest we forget, pre-COVID, Brightline never once "made numbers" But they will press on to McCoy - and become a Ward of the State. The well-connected bondholders will get bailed out, but probably not at par (8% tax free interest provides a nice cushion). They have to "feel some pain", for if it ever leaked, there would be consequences.
 #1602427  by STrRedWolf

Having been shown this event, and seeing the list of others via the Miami New Times, I have to wonder:

Does Brightline ever recover repair costs from those who are proven to have caused the accident?

For instance, a car driver intentionally goes around the down crossing gates and gets hit by the train. Driver dies. Obviously, driver was a moron who paid for it with their life. Engine is damaged and needs repair.

Does Brightline sue the insurance group who has a policy with the person? Or the estate (which I doubt would happen)?

I know with corporate vehicles (dump trucks, car carriers, etc) the owning company would be sued (see the Southwest Chief accident recently -- Amtrak and BNSF are going after the owner of the dump truck). I wonder about private non-company owners like you and me.
 #1602772  by BandA

States have no problem taking all your money to pay for health care as you are dying, I don't see why a jury wouldn't do the same. Perhaps there should be personal liability caps depending on weight of the vehicle you are driving?
 #1605861  by Matt Johnson

Having just returned from Brevard County I can say that progress is very evident and double tracking work seems to be nearing completion. But crossings such as the one seen here at Viera Blvd give me concern. This is along the soon to be 110 mph segment between Melbourne and Cocoa, and as you can see it is a busy crossing alongside a busy intersection with parallel Rt 1. I hope drivers adjust to the fast and frequent passenger service and take heed at crossings, or we'll be seeing the same issues they're having down near Miami, only with 110 mph train speeds!
 #1605901  by BandA

https://railroads.dot.gov/highway-rail- ... llapse1511
* 110 mph or less: Grade crossings are permitted. States and railroads cooperate to determine the needed warning devices, including passive crossbucks, flashing lights, two quadrant gates (close only 'entering' lanes of road), long gate arms, median barriers, and various combinations. Lights and/or gates are activated by circuits wired to the track (track circuits).

* 110-125 mph: FRA permits crossings only if an "impenetrable barrier" blocks highway traffic when train approaches.
 #1605902  by BandA

Yes that looks like a troublesome intersection, especially with cars and trucks turning from RT1 onto Viera Blvd then immediately facing a grade crossing. Too close to Indian River to allow any roads to duck under. They did say 79-110MPH, so it is up to the state of FL to decide what is required. Probably cant fit a bridge over the tracks, and raising the tracks onto an embankment would be expensive-ish. What kind of crossing did they install, and will they limit train speeds at crossings?
 #1605914  by Matt Johnson

BandA wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:37 am Yes that looks like a troublesome intersection, especially with cars and trucks turning from RT1 onto Viera Blvd then immediately facing a grade crossing. Too close to Indian River to allow any roads to duck under. They did say 79-110MPH, so it is up to the state of FL to decide what is required. Probably cant fit a bridge over the tracks, and raising the tracks onto an embankment would be expensive-ish. What kind of crossing did they install, and will they limit train speeds at crossings?
They have newly installed 4 quadrant gates that cover the entire road. According to this update it falls within a 110 mph segment.
 #1606079  by Ken W2KB

west point wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:08 pm There may be a problem going after a driver's estate, vehicle insurance yes. Have to wonder how juries take to possibility of taking all dead driver's assests leaving survivors destitute?
If the amount of damages awarded by the jury are clearly inadequate based upon the evidence, judges in many/most states can issue an Order of Additur, increasing the amount of damages to what is fair and equitable.
 #1606086  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Brown, considering that Florida allows an auto to legally operate with ONLY $10,000 personal injury as well as $10K property, I would hope the Judiciary would be empowered to "wipe a party at fault out".

That amount is simply absurd; Illinois equivalent is $25K, which is also absurd.

Golly, wonder why I carry "a mite bit more"; most as a personal liability "umbrella" that need not be disclosed at an accident scene.