Railroad Forums 

• BREAKING: Metro to close for 24 hours, per reports

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1375415  by JDC

mtuandrew wrote:Wiedefeld also wants to inspect the faulty boots that were fingered last year by the NTSB, in addition to the cables that were inspected appx a year ago.

He's spoken with Transportation Secretary Foxx and the NTSB, and also the Mayor of Washington and other local officials. Metro employees and consultants will be performing the inspection. The Metro chairman and Board supports Wiedefeld's decision, and acknowledges how hard the commute will be.
At the press conference Metro had a poster board with a photo of the cable that caught fire Monday: https://twitter.com/JackEvansWard2/stat ... 4988266496
 #1375418  by smallfire85

I think one of the reasons that Metro is shutting down tomorrow vs the weekend is that this weekend is the start of the Cherry Blossom Festival which is a major tourist attraction for the next three weeks. From what I recall, the system has weekend ridership compatible to weekday levels during this time. The only difference is that commuters could handle this situation (and emergency situations) better than tourists, hopefully.

One thing I do know is that I'm waking up extra early tomorrow!
 #1375438  by tommyboy6181

The system closure won't be popular but I will give Wiedefeld credit on this one. At least he is taking safety seriously and doing something about it. That's more than most of the previous GM's and management teams in place.
 #1375470  by JackRussell

jkovach wrote:Just hoping that 24 hours is enough time to actually do a proper inspection and not a rush job.
Is this day going to be entirely spent on inspections of cables, or are they going to do other things as well? Cleaning insulators? Track fasteners?
 #1375475  by mtuandrew

They didn't mention additional cleaning and inspection in the press conference that I heard (I had to tune out halfway through), but I bet they'll notice and fix any problem areas as soon as they're done with the cables.
 #1375506  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

Interesting news about this one day shutdown of the Metrorail system beginning at midnight - around the time of
my reply post after reading this news from the Associated Press:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... 5-22-06-48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The threat of any more problems concerning electrical feeder cables and related gear had to be significant enough
to shut down the Metro for Wednesday - I will agree with SF85 noting that this is the beginning of Cherry Blossom
Season in Washington and closing Metrorail for one of the weekend days was not an option.The annual four week
Cherry Blossom Festival with the large amount of tourists visiting Washington is one of the busiest tourist periods
for the District - and Metrorail ridership outside of Summer events and the every 4 years Presidential Inauguration.

See: http://dc.about.com/od/cherryblossomfes ... lendar.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metro should take this shutdown advantage and do needed work around the system. The Washington,DC region &
area has depended on Metrorail as it has grown and expanded noting that the 40th Anniversary of the first Metro
line segment opening: Red Line from Farragut North to Rhode Island Avenue (for those who do not know) is only
12 days away (3/27/1976) and instead of something celebratory this unprecedented shutdown for maintenance
is what Metrorail's regular riders will probably remember most instead about the month of March 2016.

It will be very interesting to see how MARC and VRE handle extra passengers and how Metrobus and other
area bus operators cope with added traffic and riders in the absence of Metrorail for this one day closure.

MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
 #1375508  by NH2060

mtuandrew wrote:JDC and I talked about this in a PM, but:

This may be the first time that an entire rapid transit system has been shut down since 9/11.
The entire MBTA system (rapid transit, bus, and commuter rail) was shut down the entire day on April 19, 2013 while the authorities searched for the Boston Marathon Bombing suspects; limited bus and rapid transit service resumed at around 8pm. It might have been shut down earlier in the evening the previous day as well; all buses and trains resumed their regular schedules the next day. I think that particular shutdown lasted longer than even the suspension of the NYC subway and commuter trains (plus Amtrak and Shore Line East) on 9/11. Service actually resumed in a relatively short period of time.

Now having an entire subway system completely shut down for 24+ hours during the middle of the work week to allow a ton of wiring to be inspected, repaired, and replaced as a precaution sounds extremely unprecedented.
 #1375551  by mtuandrew

Metro has really stepped up their bus game for today. At Pentagon Station today, there was absolutely no trouble transferring from my regular 21A/D to a waiting special 16X (which wasn't charging a fare today.) WMATA also had many, many extra bus drivers on duty, and pulled out as many buses could roll. Kudos, guys.
 #1375554  by JDC

mtuandrew wrote:They didn't mention additional cleaning and inspection in the press conference that I heard (I had to tune out halfway through), but I bet they'll notice and fix any problem areas as soon as they're done with the cables.
NBC 4 showed footage from a helicopter showing Metro workers repairing a platform, though I could not tell what station. So, it does look like other work - whether scheduled or not - is getting done.
 #1375555  by JDC

I wonder what precedent this will set in terms of Metro tackling other system-wide issues during an entire system, or line, shutdown. For example, closing the entire Red Line for 24 hours over the weekend in order to clean the third rail, or insulators. Similarly, close the entire Yellow/Blue line in VA to clean right of way, etc. If the DC region can handle this with a few hours notice AND during a weekday, I can see this being something we could handle on a weekend during non-tourist season with lots of advance notice.
 #1375605  by JDC

His follow-up tweets are interesting, too.

The first says "Damage found in 1st half of inspections was unacceptable and was being fixed right away, sez Wiedefeld. 2nd half of checks still under way." https://twitter.com/McCartneyWP/status/ ... 4100165632

The second says "Repairs should be finished today on half-dozen damaged cables and connectors found so far. But still unclear if system will reopen tomorrow." https://twitter.com/McCartneyWP/status/ ... 6866201602