Railroad Forums 

• Bombardier to bid on New Jersey rail contract: sources

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1492640  by korax

lensovet wrote:
Nasadowsk wrote:
Backshophoss wrote:Those EMU's designed in Europe would never pass the FRA muster,even under the "alt" rules.
Might wanna inform the FRA of Caltrain's order for 16 sets of them, then. First delivery isn't too far away, either...
Caltrain is time separated from freight. That's why they can use these sets.

None of that applies to NJT territory which is shared with full blown heavy train sets 24/7.
Actually from what I understand, the recently issued FRA crash standards (from a week or so ago) DO apply to NJT territory, so something like a KISS or FLIRT can now be used in mixed traffic.

https://pedestrianobservations.com/2018 ... m-is-here/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1492857  by R36 Combine Coach

Backshophoss wrote:What sinks the MLV II EMU design is that "dumb" requirement to tow a MLV II as a trailer, even as a married pair will have weight issues.
This is basically the same configuration the Lackawanna Railroad did in 1930, with MUs paired as a motor unit and trailer (the latter being converted former steam coaches).
 #1492970  by Backshophoss

The DL&W MU's were an early form of Married pairs with the trailers lightened up,AGAIN what MLV II EMU will be TOO HEAVY to even move,
NO way to tow any trailers or an ML II coach/cab car. This will be a failed design from the get go!
 #1493307  by mtuandrew

Backshophoss wrote:The DL&W MU's were an early form of Married pairs with the trailers lightened up,AGAIN what MLV II EMU will be TOO HEAVY to even move,
NO way to tow any trailers or an ML II coach/cab car. This will be a failed design from the get go!
Sorry what? If each power car of the married pair has four 500hp motors, you’d have an MU set with up to EDIT: 12,000 hp on tap for a 12-car set. That doesn’t seem unreasonable to me, either in raw acceleration or in engineering. You’ll probably lose a chunk of the downstairs seating for said transformer though.
Last edited by mtuandrew on Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1493348  by R36 Combine Coach

Backshophoss wrote:The DL&W MU's were an early form of Married pairs with the trailers lightened up,AGAIN what MLV II EMU will be TOO HEAVY to even move, NO way to tow any trailers or an ML II coach/cab car.
Reminds of when trailer towing with a RDC would void factory warranty.
 #1493447  by sammy2009

I Happen to come across some information regarding this. In the information i read it mentioned a option for 250 cars "INTENDED" for SEPTA. This was news to me because they ofcourse have not mentioned anything. So i am very curious to see how this will play out. A part of me thinks SEPTA will exercise the option , also the question also would be also would they be a fool to not exercise that option ? I think the time frame makes sense. Both NJT & SEPTA'S (Arrows + Silverliner 4) are about the same age and we need to be replaced "SOON".
 #1493508  by Ryand-Smith

sammy2009 wrote:I Happen to come across some information regarding this. In the information i read it mentioned a option for 250 cars "INTENDED" for SEPTA. This was news to me because they ofcourse have not mentioned anything. So i am very curious to see how this will play out. A part of me thinks SEPTA will exercise the option , also the question also would be also would they be a fool to not exercise that option ? I think the time frame makes sense. Both NJT & SEPTA'S (Arrows + Silverliner 4) are about the same age and we need to be replaced "SOON".
Honestly if I was MARC I would buy a set IF they could do 125 and keep pen timestables so right now I can see a need for replacing the 1980s era EMUs, and NJT and SEPTA have very similar needs (dual level is clearly something SEPTA isn't afraid of since their new bilevel CRRC cars are already confirmed
 #1493509  by DutchRailnut

the option might also be for Metro North/CDOT since they are looking to replace the 230 single level East of Hudson push pull cars with MLV's of some kind.
 #1494624  by Tadman

EuroStar wrote:Metra Electric runs double deckers in married pairs, but:
  • Highliner II is taller than MLV
    There is no huge double tap transformer for 25Hz plus 12.5kV vs 25kV, Metra Electric is 1.5kV
This is exactly right. The Metra/South Shore 300-series is a standard gallery car design perverted into an EMU. It works fine at 1500vDC out here. Back east, it wouldn't clear the Penn Station tunnels and it doesn't have much space for the larger electrical gear required for AC. The dead space above the doors is for the HVAC. Had NJT kept the DC operations on the Lackawanna side, it would've made a fine fleet for the Hoboken division, but that's a moot point.
 #1494630  by lensovet

Tadman wrote:
    There is no huge double tap transformer for 25Hz plus 12.5kV vs 25kV, Metra Electric is 1.5kV
This is exactly right. The Metra/South Shore 300-series is a standard gallery car design perverted into an EMU. It works fine at 1500vDC out here. Back east, it wouldn't clear the Penn Station tunnels and it doesn't have much space for the larger electrical gear required for AC. The dead space above the doors is for the HVAC. Had NJT kept the DC operations on the Lackawanna side, it would've made a fine fleet for the Hoboken division, but that's a moot point.
a fine fleet? the second level on those cars is unusable for anything that needs to transport more than 20 people in a single car.
 #1503083  by Tadman

lensovet wrote:
Tadman wrote:
a fine fleet? the second level on those cars is unusable for anything that needs to transport more than 20 people in a single car.
According to the diagram at VRE's site of the original CNW seating plan, the upper level can seat 67, and perhaps 48 if the benches aren't crush-loaded.

https://www.vre.org/about/procurement/r ... fications/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;