Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Nester

Is there a high number of cars out of service these days? I'm pretty sure train #832 (6:47 AM POK-GCT Express) was short a car yesterday based on the number of standees, and #818 (6:15 AM POK-GCT Express) was so crowded today it could have been short two cars.

The crews correctly stated that their complaints won't go too far since there were more than a handful of the dreaded "middle seats" available for use.

Since the platforms don't seem to be more crowded than usual, I can't tell if there are more passengers or fewer cars.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Nester

by Dieter

There have been some "Bombies" on the track with the West of Hudson coaches which I assume were heading for the torch. It could be a shortage coupled with breakdowns, however with the mild weather, I can't figure it either.

Dieter.

by Nester

Dieter wrote:There have been some "Bombies" on the track with the West of Hudson coaches which I assume were heading for the torch. It could be a shortage coupled with breakdowns, however with the mild weather, I can't figure it either.

Dieter.
What track are you referring to? I've seen WoH coaches Croton West, Tarrytown, and Highbridge over the past year. All the ones I've seen were clearly WoH, or EoH coaches that were converted and re-named (like the Sloatsburg one).

Nester
  by mkm4

Nester wrote:Has anyone else experienced this?

Nester
I haven't been experiencing anything similar on the Upper Harlem Line. Maybe, it's just bad luck on your end?

by Dieter

Nester,

All of them that we've seen. First they were at the Highbridge "Car Appearance Facility" (isn't that a scream for a name?) where they sat and sat and sat.

It's been too dark when I pass through Croton, but I remember seeing High Tor online with WoH Bombies, obviously in no hurry to return to service. The one's in Tarrytown are obviously heading for the torch, or someone in a panic would have closed the missing emergency windows. At least the birds will have a place to nest in the spring.

The WoH coaches were originally Erie Lackawanna coaches, first implemented in I believe 1971? For anyone into model railroading, AHM actually produced these coaches in the as delivered EL scheme for a brief time. I'm surprised they're at the end of their service lives, after having ridden New York Central cars that were in service for over 40 years. In fact, there was NYC equipment from 1910 that wasn't retired until the early 80's!

Dieter.

by DutchRailnut

The west of Hudson cars were NEVER E-L cars, as the E_L cars are Pullmans. and West of Hudson cars are Bombardiers.
The cars are slated for overhaul at Kawasaki in Yonkers.
A few windows were removed to prevent mildew from forming in cars.
  by MTASUPT

I would say that generally we have been filled out on our consist requirements other than a few days last month and possibly one day this month. Other than that I would say it be our shortage with your timing. The shortage that occured in Jan/Feb would be to last minute shopped cars or swaps due to a problem. Sorry for the Inconvience.

Dutch, get off the Kawi.. Rumor.

The WOH coaches are in the Tarrytown west yard and in the Croton West Yard. They are due for refurb shortly.

by Nester

Generally speaking I don't count cars, but these two incidents may make me change my mind :)

As for the WoH car refurb... where are they going afterwards? EoH or WoH?

Nester

by checkthedoorlight

aren't all diesel through trains in and out of GCT randomly 6 or 7 cars, despite being peak or off peak?

by DutchRailnut

MNCR runs 6-7 and a few 8 car trains.
The refurbished Wof H cars will be used East of Hudson.
West of Hudson has an entire new fleet of Comet V's and when car were ordered more cars were bought than currently needed.
MNCR bought 65 cars , 15 cab cars & 45 coaches & 5 coaches with toilets. they replaced 23 WofH bombardiers and 11 or so Comet 1b'(arrow shell push pulls)