Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1369298  by lstone19

For the last week, one of the 700-series BNSF-lettered Metra cars (758 specifically) has been in the consist of one of the Milwaukee Distict seven-car sets. It was on 2214 this morning (there are four seven-car sets that work the MD-W). I was really surprised as I thought those cars were supposed to work the BNSF exclusively.
One thing I noticed and was causing no end of confusion to passengers trying to pass between cars is that the end doors operate opposite the rest of the fleet.
 #1370029  by MACTRAXX

LS, SPR and Everyone:

I remember the distinct cars that had the BNSF logo applied and on my past visits they carried the BN Railroad ID.

I remember that many of those cars were former Burlington Route Budd-built cars that go way back and that there
were some RTA type cars that also in cases were assigned to BNSF. They are easy to notice in trains because of
their stainless steel side fluting - and the older cars having smaller windows then more recent METRA cars do.

I remember reading that the BNSF and SWS uses the same equipment pool. Was the car being used on the MD one
of the older BR cars or a RTA car?

Another observation that I have made thanks to the many Metra YouTube videos available is that the caption that
was once used - Metra's full name "Metropolitan Rail" has pretty much dissapeared from locomotives and blue side
car signs. When was that change made and how often are the captions still being used?

Another thought about Metra bilevel cars: How big is the current fleet of painted bilevel cars and are they assigned
to the North Western routes and the North Central trains as I recall? Any idea how many got brought back to Metra
from other commuter railroads when Metra needed these cars back for more capacity?

MACTRAXX
 #1370064  by lstone19

MACTRAXX wrote: I remember reading that the BNSF and SWS uses the same equipment pool. Was the car being used on the MD one
of the older BR cars or a RTA car?
Burlington car. #758 which one source I found says was built in 1957.
Another thought about Metra bilevel cars: How big is the current fleet of painted bilevel cars and are they assigned
to the North Western routes and the North Central trains as I recall? Any idea how many got brought back to Metra
from other commuter railroads when Metra needed these cars back for more capacity?
They're just on the Northwestern routes. North Central is serviced out of Western Ave. and uses the same cars as MD trains.
 #1370466  by F40CFan

There are a few Pullmans parked at Western Ave. At least two of them have the MARC striping on the ends. They are parked with 611 and 614.