Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Wanderer

Greetings all...

I'm looking for information on what BNSF trains turn to what deadheads. Can someone help please? If that's not possible, could someone help me with what deadheads turn to revenue trains where, and I figure it out using the timetable?

I would be most appreciative for any and all help. I need this since I'll be heading home to Hinsdale for the first time in about a year, and have become immensely unframiliar with the schedule since my last return. Thanks in advance for any and all help. Again, much appreciated.

Regards,
M.J.B. "Matt" Ryan

by MetraBNSF

The BNSF schedule hasn't really changed at all since either 1999 or 2000 when additional rush hour trains were added. I'm not that familiar with the morning schedule, but as for the afternoon, here are some cycles:

1245 turns into 1278(deadhead DG to CUS), becomes 1279
1249 turns into 1282(deadhead Fairview to CUS), becomes 1283
1255 turns into 1372(deadhead Fairview to CUS), becomes 1373
1263 turns into 1284(deadhead Congress Park to CUS), becomes 1285
1265 turns into 1286(deadhead Fairview to CUS), becomes 1287
1275 turns into 1290(deadhead Fairview to CUS), becomes 1291

by metraRI

BNSF Morning deadheads are as follows:

Chicago-Brookfield
Lv. 6:10 am Ar. 6:25 am (from 1202 | turns to 1222)
Chicago-Fairview Ave.
Lv. 6:40 am Ar. 7:03 am (from 1206 | turns to 1234)
Chicago-Lisle
Lv. 7:05 am Ar. 7:40 am (from 1212 | turns to 1250)
Chicago-Brookfield
Lv. 7:13 am Ar. 7:28 am (from 1216 | turns to 1244)
Chicago-Lisle
Lv. 7:22 am Ar. 7:55 am (from 1220 | turns to 1258)
Chicago-Brookfield
Lv. 7:38 am Ar. 7:53 am (from 1224 | turns to 1254)

Deadhead times are approximate.

by Wanderer

Awesome! You gentlemen rock! Thank you VERY much. I am anxiously awaiting the trip West. I'll be back for three months, so obviously I will be trackside quite a bit doing movement logs. It will be much easier with thanks to your "refresher course".

You know what they say; there's no place like home. Thank you both again, tremendously.

Best regards...
Matt
M.J.B. Ryan

by doepack

A couple of years ago, I was railfanning on the BNSF during the morning rush at Westmont, trying to figure out all of the deadhead movements, and which trains they "flipped" to going back east. I remember seeing 1221 come into the station, stop briefly, then continue on. The doors never opened. At first I thought it was one of the earlier deadheads since it arrived Westmont a few minutes early, and nobody got off. Later on I found out this train turns to 1256 from DG Fairview, which then gave me the distinct impression that 1221, although listed as a revenue train, can probably be added to BNSF's deadhead list as well, since no one got off the train at Westmont on the day I happened to be there. I suspect this situation has changed little since then...

by metraRI

BNSF's morning schedule is a little confusing. It surprised me that trains deadhead from Hill Yard to Highlands and Fairview, unlike the afternoon when most trains going into Hill Yard are in revenue service up until at least Route 59.

1221 does in fact turn to 1256, and probably could be turned into a deadhead instead of a revenue run. Funny how on RI, the first deadhead that runs from LaSalle to Joliet in the morning, makes a stop at 80th Avenue... not sure what thats all about.

by Wanderer

Will the deadhead trains be changed at all according to the new schedule effective April 1st?

Best regards...
Matt
M.J.B. Ryan

by metraRI

For the most part, deadhead movements should be the same... give or take a few minutes for the changes.

by Wanderer

metraRI wrote:For the most part, deadhead movements should be the same... give or take a few minutes for the changes.
Thank you MetraRI. I was primarily concerned about turns being changed or eliminated.

Regards,
Matt
M.J.B. Ryan