Railroad Forums 

• BN RS3 at CVSR

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#541390  by GN 599

I came across photos of former BN 4056 (SP&S 71) being used for parts on the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic. They were from 1990. I assume the unit is long gone but was wondering if anyone knew where it went. Did they scrap it? Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks
 #544213  by bluestreak81

I don't know exactally what happened to BN4056 but I believe it would be safe to presume it was scrapped. The "Cuyhoga Valley Line" originally purchased it around 1991 in hopes to restore it to normal operations but I believe it ended up becoming too much of an expense. There was also an Alco switcher that was donated to the line (blue and white) around the same time the BN4056 was purchased. Both units ended up being parked at the old Jaite Mill spur and were strictly used for parts. Those units were only parked at the spur for one or two seasons before being shipped off. Non relavent, but a few years ago the Jaite Mill spur was finally disconnected from the main line however most of the rails, switches, and trestle still remain in-tact. Out of curiosity, is the picture you have of the BN unit posted online?

http://maproomsystems.org/registry/jait ... index.html
 #546195  by GN 599

Yeah, in service photos of it are on George Elwoods fallen flags site. The pics from it in Ohio are on Arnie Morschers site. His photos are sorted by year, I think they were taken in 90 or 91. If you have never been there I think you would type in Morschers rail images on your search bar. Thanks for the info.
 #694895  by GN 599

I came across some pics of this engine in service helping a 2-8-2 on the CVSR dated 6/89. On rrpicture archives. The trail is still cold, I would like to know when it was scrapped, where, etc. The proverbial needle in a haystack.
 #1374074  by BR&P

That engine came to a sad and unnecessary end. It was started up in cold temperatures, without being pre-lubed or otherwise warming up the oil. The resulting destruction of the bearings (and I believe the crankshaft) doomed an otherwise decent unit. Sometimes it takes more than just knowing how to mash in on the "start" button. :(