Railroad Forums 

• Bits & Pieces - Wildwood Junction

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#334264  by David

Here is one for you, Ken---"Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines" by Frederick A. Kramer--1980--Crusader Press P.O. Box 54, Ambler, PA 19002--I do not know if it is available, but give it a try. :-)

#334381  by NJ Vike

David wrote:Here is one for you, Ken---"Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines" by Frederick A. Kramer--1980--Crusader Press P.O. Box 54, Ambler, PA 19002--I do not know if it is available, but give it a try. :-)
Thanks - Will do.

#334683  by mitch kennedy

In addition to the Kramer book (out of print but available on EBay and Amazon) also check out Morning Sun Publishing's "PRSL in Color" about $50.00 new, but in invaluable resource with stuff you never dreamt of!! THis is also available new and used on Ebay and Amazon-I've seen both go used in the mid $20's/ For the ACRR, the West Jersey Chapter of the NRHS published a comprehensive hardback history titled "The Royal Route to the Sea" , probably out of print but may be available thru the Chapter (check their website, perhaps "Chuchubob could update us here). "Steam Man" has made reference to this one as well and it has tons of high quality maps and photos worth their weight in gold... Pick these up and get a few employee timetables and you'll know everything !Start looking!

#335219  by NJ Vike

Mitch,

Thanks for the info. I will look into it.

Ken

#335296  by SteelWheels21

Ken..that's a nice series of pics. I have a little info that I remember from past discussion on this topic:

Last trains into Wildwood were in 1972. That would explain why you still found ties, etc. going out towards the sound. As far as the drawbridge goes, the story I remember reading is that a private party bought the bridge to dismantle it for scrap. Unfortunately, the scrap company miscalculated the weight of the span, resulting in both the bridge and the crane being sunk to the bottom of the channel. Finally, you showed a map that included the Anglesea branch of the WJ&S..that ROW is VERY easily visible from the road, just drive through North Wildwood and look to your right..many sections of concrete bridge abutment remain.

#336415  by NJ Vike

SteelWheels21 wrote:Ken..that's a nice series of pics. I have a little info that I remember from past discussion on this topic:

Last trains into Wildwood were in 1972. That would explain why you still found ties, etc. going out towards the sound. As far as the drawbridge goes, the story I remember reading is that a private party bought the bridge to dismantle it for scrap. Unfortunately, the scrap company miscalculated the weight of the span, resulting in both the bridge and the crane being sunk to the bottom of the channel. Finally, you showed a map that included the Anglesea branch of the WJ&S..that ROW is VERY easily visible from the road, just drive through North Wildwood and look to your right..many sections of concrete bridge abutment remain.
Thanks for the information. I had thought I read somewhere that the bridge had fallen in.

#339176  by JJMDiMunno

SteelWheels21 wrote:Ken..that's a nice series of pics. I have a little info that I remember from past discussion on this topic:

Hey guys,
I apologize for the long span between my posts here...it's been weeks (at least) now. The last freight train into Wildwood was on June 6, 1974. After that, the branch was taken out of service due to poor bridge conditions (a bulletin order was issued on June 7th). The final passenger train was on January 3, 1973.

Mike DiMunno