Railroad Forums 

• Binders for employee timetables

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#707800  by enginedave

As a former NJT engineer, I was always looking for ways to lighten my bag. I finally signed into law Bag Weight Reduction Act of 1997. Sections and pages that I didn't need were torn out. Especially the Amtrak book. Binders changed over the years for the good and the worse. Sometimes I would get rid of the binder all together and make my own with zip ties. The one problem was the MU handles.

How about MNCR? Do they have the handle issue?
 #707805  by DutchRailnut

I know of one engineer who caries the entire Employee timetable, airbrake rules, equipment manuals etc on a Flashdrive in PDF format.
I doubt the boys who check find it legal but so far he is not caught ;-)
As far as MNCR and Handles, no engineers do not carry handles, its upto Mof E to see too it that a train is fit for service.
No handle , not fit for service, no go. ;-)
 #708593  by HoggerKen

NV290 wrote: There is a guy who has programs for Palm type devices, GCOR and UP rulebooks and timetables. So if you work for UP and electronic devices were not now banned, you could have almost all your books in a tiny device.
On some roads UP for example, it is legal to use an electronic device for rules reference, and is available in either Silo or PDF via the carriers employee web portal. This includes General Orders, Bulletins, System Special Instructions, Subdivision orders, Timetables, and Superintendent Bulletins. The files are kept current to all General Orders so there is continuity. On the same portal, almost all functions are available to report work, check car status, train status, just as if on the company intranet.

Sure is easier to carry a laptop or netbook than lug all that paper, and much faster to find what you are looking for. Most will carry a laptop/netbook rather than some small device you can barely read from (unless you have 2.5x readers).
 #708596  by DutchRailnut

On MNCR they wanted to have conductors have acces to Employee timetable/rules etc through the TIM (ticket issuing Machine) but one condition was that engineers were to carry all paperwork in printed form.
needles to say we did not agree , its all or none, or raise certification to new level of one hour per ( paper carrying included) shift, it is now 20 min. ( paper carrying included)
 #710546  by enginedave

The problem with that is, I can get to information faster in paper form. A laptop or flash drive can be easily damaged. I don't know about you but sometimes I've needed that info in a hurry. Especially when called last minute to run a line I haven't run in months and all the speeds have changed. I'm brain is not as quick and retentive as it used to be. I'm all for lightening the bag (grip).
 #710628  by HoggerKen

enginedave wrote:The problem with that is, I can get to information faster in paper form. A laptop or flash drive can be easily damaged. I don't know about you but sometimes I've needed that info in a hurry. Especially when called last minute to run a line I haven't run in months and all the speeds have changed. I'm brain is not as quick and retentive as it used to be. I'm all for lightening the bag (grip).
My laptop is going on 3 years being hauled, set up, put away every day on the loco. I guess it is how you organize the information for fast access. Mine is icons on the desktop, one click for the timetable, one click for the general order for that subdivision, et. And because they are PDF format, quite easy to search a particular topic, in all three books if need be. And because they are re-issued when any changes are made through General Order, they are always up to date.

Personally, the only drawbacks are Windows Vista, which takes too long to boot, and in time, a laptop battery tends to loose it's original capacity. To each one's own I suppose.
 #710893  by DutchRailnut

On MNCR this would not be option as no electronic devices (other than company issued ones) are allowed on a train even when stopped.
 #710942  by NV290

Before the electronics ban, i inquired about carrying the NORAC and GCOR books in PDF on my laptop and using my laptop on the train for that purpose. I was told "No problem, but you still have to carry the paper versions". Basically they have a list of required books that must be carried and the means the books they issued. There is no exemption simply because you have it in a different format. But i guess other railroad are more flexible.
 #710959  by HoggerKen

GCOR

1.10: Games, Reading, or Electronic Devices
● Play games.
● Read magazines, newspapers, or other literature not related to their duties when:
- On a train or engine.
- Performing safety sensitive activities.
- It would delay or interfere with required duties.
This does not prohibit employees from having such material enclosed in their personal luggage.

Electronic Devices
Electronic devices may be used as follows:
● Crew members must turn off and are prohibited from using laptop computers and/or
PDAs or other electronic devices while their train is moving unless the use is directly
related to their train movement, e.g., rules related. When an electronic device is used
to access stored electronic rule book files, the wireless capability of the device (radio
antenna) must be disabled.
● When train is stopped, electronic devices may only be used for work related duties
(except as provided for in this rule). Any other use is prohibited. Such use must not
interfere with any safety related duty.
● Any other type of electronic device, such as DVD's, IPOD's, BlackBerry devices, text
messaging devices, etc., that is not used for work related duties is prohibited while on
duty.
 #710976  by NV290

HoggerKen wrote:GCOR

1.10: Games, Reading, or Electronic Devices
● Play games.
● Read magazines, newspapers, or other literature not related to their duties when:
- On a train or engine.
- Performing safety sensitive activities.
- It would delay or interfere with required duties.
This does not prohibit employees from having such material enclosed in their personal luggage.

Electronic Devices
Electronic devices may be used as follows:
● Crew members must turn off and are prohibited from using laptop computers and/or
PDAs or other electronic devices while their train is moving unless the use is directly
related to their train movement, e.g., rules related. When an electronic device is used
to access stored electronic rule book files, the wireless capability of the device (radio
antenna) must be disabled.
● When train is stopped, electronic devices may only be used for work related duties
(except as provided for in this rule). Any other use is prohibited. Such use must not
interfere with any safety related duty.
● Any other type of electronic device, such as DVD's, IPOD's, BlackBerry devices, text
messaging devices, etc., that is not used for work related duties is prohibited while on
duty.
You are aware that FRA rules supersede any and all railroad operating practices. FRA Emergency Order 26 clearly states that Personal Electronic Devices of any kind are prohibited. This includes laptop computers.

The uses of electronic devices that are restricted by the Emergency Order include:

# the use of a mobile telephone or another electronic or electrical device to conduct an oral communication;
# placing or receiving a telephone call;
# sending or reading an electronic mail message or text message;
# playing a game;
# navigating the Internet;
# playing, viewing, or listening to a video;
# playing, viewing, or listening to a television broadcast;
# playing or listening to a radio broadcast other than a radio broadcast by a railroad;
# playing or listening to music;
# executing a computational function; and
# performing any other function that is not necessary for the health or safety of the person and that entails the risk of distracting the employee from a safety-critical task.

All personal electronic devices — electronic devices not supplied by the railroad — must be turned off and any electronic earpieces must be removed while a train is moving; the only exception is that, when radio failure occurs, wireless communication devices may be used in accordance with railroad rules and instructions. Personal electronic devices also must be turned off with electronic earpieces removed when duties (1) require an operating employee to ride rolling equipment during switching operations, or (2) require any railroad employees to be on the ground, including any situation where other employees of the railroad are assisting in preparation of the train (e.g., during an air brake test). Operating employees may not use personal electronic devices for any purpose other than voice communications

There is no provision whatsoever for using any sort of electronic device as a rule book or for rule reference. Railroads can make FRA rules more strict, but they cannot make them less strict. So EO26 would make the GCOR rule null and void. Bottom line, you cannot use a laptop in the cab of a moving locomotive. We had guys here ask not only about laptops but about GPS units for chekcing speed and location and we were told by the FRA in Cambridge that none of those items are allowed in the cab of a moving locomotive, period. And that is a federal law now. No railroad is exempt from it. When the FRA issues new rules, those rules automatically replace any and all rules that are not as strict.

If you doubt this, call the FRA and ask. I know plenty of people who did. And many (myself included) were specifically to ask about using PDF files for rules and timetables. They do not want any type of distraction in the cab. They know damn well that guys with laptops turned on in the cab are doing more then looking at rules. Playing games, looking at pictures, etc. It is almost impossible to catch someone doing it since if an FRA inspector or company offical were to board a loco the employee could just close out of the program. Now with computers being banned, just having the computer turned on will get you taken out of service.

http://www.ble-t.org/pr/pdf/EO26FAQs081113.pdf
 #710978  by HoggerKen

In EO26, please refer to:
(f) Exceptions. Not withstanding any other provision of this order-
1. A railroad operating employee may use the digital storage and display function of a personal or railroad-supplied electronic device to refer to a railroad rule, special instruction, timetable or other directive, if such use is authorized under a railroad operating rule or instruction;
2. Railroad operating employees may use a personal or railroad-supplied wireless communication device as necessary to respond to an emergency situation involving the operation of the railroad or encountered while performing a duty for the railroad;
You will find this on page 7 of the PDF file directly from the FRA at:
http://www.fra.dot.gov/downloads/PubAff ... rder26.pdf

I have been through the mill with this from local and district management. While GCOR rule 1.10, as amended by General Order, may not match other carriers versions, I assure you the FRA would not allow Union Pacific to issue such a rule if it did not follow EO26 to the letter. And to my knowledge, no carrier has filed for, or been granted a waiver from EO26, except that time limits for training, and implementing testing procedures be allowed.

The FRA here has been persistent in testing, observing, and by inspection that EO26 is being followed. In addition, testing, observation, and inspection by management for rule 1.10 compliance has taken place. Where necessary, discipline has been administered.

When asked why I leave my cell phone in the car, my simple reply is, I don't have the cash to pay any fine. I keep it well above the board.
 #711018  by NV290

HoggerKen wrote:In EO26, please refer to:
(f) Exceptions. Not withstanding any other provision of this order-
1. A railroad operating employee may use the digital storage and display function of a personal or railroad-supplied electronic device to refer to a railroad rule, special instruction, timetable or other directive, if such use is authorized under a railroad operating rule or instruction;
2. Railroad operating employees may use a personal or railroad-supplied wireless communication device as necessary to respond to an emergency situation involving the operation of the railroad or encountered while performing a duty for the railroad;
You will find this on page 7 of the PDF file directly from the FRA at:
http://www.fra.dot.gov/downloads/PubAff ... rder26.pdf

I have been through the mill with this from local and district management. While GCOR rule 1.10, as amended by General Order, may not match other carriers versions, I assure you the FRA would not allow Union Pacific to issue such a rule if it did not follow EO26 to the letter. And to my knowledge, no carrier has filed for, or been granted a waiver from EO26, except that time limits for training, and implementing testing procedures be allowed.

The FRA here has been persistent in testing, observing, and by inspection that EO26 is being followed. In addition, testing, observation, and inspection by management for rule 1.10 compliance has taken place. Where necessary, discipline has been administered.

When asked why I leave my cell phone in the car, my simple reply is, I don't have the cash to pay any fine. I keep it well above the board.
Well, thank you for the link. The rules we were given out here do not show the exceptions. I was told personally by an FRA official from Cambridge that there were no exceptions. Clearly he is wrong in telling me that.
 #719655  by CSX Conductor

Just noticed this thread. NV290, go to Staples. They have a small binder for about $7 that is perfect for MNRR timetable. It's about 1/2 as thick and the entire timetable fits. :wink:
 #719811  by NV290

CSX Conductor wrote:Just noticed this thread. NV290, go to Staples. They have a small binder for about $7 that is perfect for MNRR timetable. It's about 1/2 as thick and the entire timetable fits. :wink:
Go back one page and read the 5th post up :wink:

Thanks though!