Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: JamesT4, metraRI

by Tadman

Today I was shopping in a nearby store called Jayson's Home and Garden, the type of store where they have quite nice but rustic furnishings. I noticed a very large (30' long) wooden sign with "GRAND CENTRAL STATION" written on it. Turns out it's the genuine item, and it hung over the doors to B&O's GCS Chicago station. In this pic, it's about 10' above the awning at bottom left corner.

Here it is:
If you want to see it, visit Jayson Home & Garden at 1885 N. Clybourn.

In related news, I was walking through the bridge between Riverside Plaza and Ogilvie Station, and there's a sign above the bridge (on the inside) stating "TO C&NW RY. TRAINS". Pics are on another camera, I'll post them soon.

To tie the stories together, lately I've been seeing pics of C&O's Pere Marquette departing Northwestern station, it's home after Chessie/B&O closed GCS.
  by EricL

Tadman wrote:In related news, I was walking through the bridge between Riverside Plaza and Ogilvie Station, and there's a sign above the bridge (on the inside) stating "TO C&NW RY. TRAINS". Pics are on another camera, I'll post them soon.
That's been there for a long time.
  by lstone19

Although I'm normally on the Milw West, three times last month I took C&NW trains (they must be since that sign doesn't say "To UP RR Trains" :-) ) to get to my son's HS volleyball matches and seeing that sign was the highlight of my walk to Northwestern Station (no calling it Ogilvie for me).
  by lstone19

Since Tadman hasn't posted a pictue of the C&NW sign, I'll post one.