Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#927828  by Tadman

Today I was shopping in a nearby store called Jayson's Home and Garden, the type of store where they have quite nice but rustic furnishings. I noticed a very large (30' long) wooden sign with "GRAND CENTRAL STATION" written on it. Turns out it's the genuine item, and it hung over the doors to B&O's GCS Chicago station. In this pic, it's about 10' above the awning at bottom left corner.

Here it is:
If you want to see it, visit Jayson Home & Garden at 1885 N. Clybourn.

In related news, I was walking through the bridge between Riverside Plaza and Ogilvie Station, and there's a sign above the bridge (on the inside) stating "TO C&NW RY. TRAINS". Pics are on another camera, I'll post them soon.

To tie the stories together, lately I've been seeing pics of C&O's Pere Marquette departing Northwestern station, it's home after Chessie/B&O closed GCS.
 #928069  by EricL

Tadman wrote:In related news, I was walking through the bridge between Riverside Plaza and Ogilvie Station, and there's a sign above the bridge (on the inside) stating "TO C&NW RY. TRAINS". Pics are on another camera, I'll post them soon.
That's been there for a long time.
 #928233  by lstone19

Although I'm normally on the Milw West, three times last month I took C&NW trains (they must be since that sign doesn't say "To UP RR Trains" :-) ) to get to my son's HS volleyball matches and seeing that sign was the highlight of my walk to Northwestern Station (no calling it Ogilvie for me).