Railroad Forums 

• Better food on non-LD trains - is it doable?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1581139  by STrRedWolf

Funny thing now... we loop back to Subway. DancingBacons on Youtube posted... a Subway Vending Machine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUSekC0Zp0g

It's attached to a Subway but I bet... yep, they got one at PHL.
 #1581162  by STrRedWolf

CarterB wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:20 pm OK, OK ...Not Taco Bell...how about Boston Beans Market!!!!
...and we get into the same "contract a diner out" idea that got answered by "the diner union want a word with y'all."

Back to the topic of this thread: Better food is possible on the non-LD trains. But it takes political pressure and money to do it, which nobody wants to spend.
 #1581546  by hrsn

photobug56 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:09 am ...And a low end nuke burger with steamed out bun just doesn't cut it.
I had to make do with it today on 56 Vermonter, and remembered your very apt description. A nip of bourbon helped wash it down.
 #1610790  by Nightjet

Why does Amtrak allow crew members to take over cafe cars? They sit at tables, spread out papers and the like on the tables and yell at customers who try to sit down.

Wouldn’t allowing customers to use cafe car seats and tables probably help sales?

I understand that railroads before Amtrak didn’t allow employees in uniform to sit at cafe car tables. And Amtrak employees on long-distance trains already have their own car, which often seems to have nicer rooms than Viewliner I sleeping cars do.
 #1611208  by Gilbert B Norman

"Been there done that", Mr. Night Jet, with likely more pre-Amtrak miles to my name than post.

During non-meal hours in the full-service Diner, they did, but in any other F&B car open throughout the day, no way.