Railroad Forums 

• Best Places In Philly To Photograph Regional Rail Trains

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#655418  by chuchubob

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:
njt/mnrrbuff wrote:How safe is it to take pix at North Philly station? I may go there on Good Friday.
I have heard that many poeple have gone there during the day and had no problem. I grew up in the city and I know better to go there because I know of the amount of crime. Most people who come to the area to photograph arent really familiar with the area and most likely dont know the risks. I would say go with a group if you can and just remain vigilant...
Yo Budd, North Philly station is much safer now that you moved away! :)
I find it a very convenient location for photographing the NEC, especially because of its proximity to the Broad Street Subway.
 #658664  by chuchubob

SEPTAR3kid wrote:
Matthew Mitchell wrote:The "weave bridge" over the Amtrak NEC just north of South Street is now open. 
See above for link to directions.

http://media.www.dailypennsylvanian.com ... 7250.shtml
has anyone here taken any shots from this bridge yet? I'm wondering if it provides a good photo/video location for Amtrak trains. Is it heavily used by pedestrians?
I finally tried it out. For a while, nobody else was there, but then a practice must have ended, because a large number of Penn women athletes subsequently crossed the bridge on their way back to the main campus.
Train 129 had two motors and Beech Grove.
Train 2167 had 2000 pulling and 2002 pushing.
 #658676  by Matthew Mitchell

chuchubob wrote:I finally tried it out. For a while, nobody else was there, but then a practice must have ended, because a large number of Penn women athletes subsequently crossed the bridge on their way back to the main campus.
Train 129 had two motors and Beech Grove.
Train 2167 had 2000 pulling and 2002 pushing.
Uhhh, your post got cut off... I don't see any links to the pictures of the athletes.

--Matt Mitchell
[shared practice ice on Friday afternoons with some of those athletes...]
 #661382  by Kaback9

Not really Philly but on SEPTA,

How are Croydon and Bristol Stations? I plan on heading down that way Friday and wondering if they were ok. I noticed on a few past trips down to Philly a small freight yard in that area, which of those two stations would have better chance of seeing that come through? Also I should add I won't have a car with me as I'll be using NJT/SEPTA to get there, so which ever station has food closer by will probably influence my decision.

Thanks,

-Brandon
 #661514  by scotty269

Kaback9 wrote:Not really Philly but on SEPTA,

How are Croydon and Bristol Stations? I plan on heading down that way Friday and wondering if they were ok. I noticed on a few past trips down to Philly a small freight yard in that area, which of those two stations would have better chance of seeing that come through? Also I should add I won't have a car with me as I'll be using NJT/SEPTA to get there, so which ever station has food closer by will probably influence my decision.

Thanks,

-Brandon
Can't say for sure about either of those stations, but Holmesburg Jct would provide for a far better photo-op location if you'll be traveling on the R7. There are freight locals that run up the NEC to various industries, but you also have a chance to see (it's either FJ-4 or FJ-10) that works the Bustleton Branch that splits off at the Jct.
 #662633  by Patrick Boylan

That's the ex Reading's freight mainline to Reading. North of Falls Bridge Philly it's definitely Norfolk Southern. Between Falls Bridge and Columbia Railroad Bridge some of it may be CSX, since CSX crosses and double crosses the river at both those spots, each of which are good photo spots.

There's not much public transit between Conshohocken and Manyunk other than the R6 train. If you can handle the walk or bike ride, I'd suggest walk between then Manayunk, Miquon or Spring Mill stations. The canal towpath and ex Pennsy right of way are bike-hike trails, and I think Flat Rock dam is a good place to shoot from the path, you can get a decent look at the canal locks, dam, river and railroad, although maybe not all in one shot.
There's absolutely no public transit on the Norfolk Southern railroad's side of the river, and only a few spots with road access, but getting off the train in Manayunk you could walk across the Belmont Ave-Green La bridge, then make a right turn after going under the railroad and expressway, that street climbs up the hill and there are some nice shots available, as well as my high school buddy's house, whose back porch has a good view. Naturally he pretended he wasn't a railfan when he dickered with the guy from whom he bought the house.

If you're driving, the river road, right turn from the interstate 76 west Gladwynne exit, has lots of spots right on the railroad, and a township park with small parking lot just a bit north of Flat Rock dam and tunnel.

City Ave bridge has good views, and a pedestrian sidewalk on at least one, maybe both of its spans, but I'm not sure how one gets to it from the West Philly-Bala Cynwyd side without getting run over.
 #683107  by CNJGeep

Kaback9 wrote:Not really Philly but on SEPTA,

Thanks,

-Brandon
I've never been to Croydon, but I have been to Bristol. It's a good place to shoot E/Bs, but W/Bs sneak up because of the curve. Plus there's nothing around there, so if you desire to procure some comestibles, Croydon would be the far better choice.
 #683122  by Kaback9

I shot Bristol back in April. Only Problem I had was the fact that the fence was in the way on some shots and needed to crop. Croydon is next on the list. The curve does make for train to sneak up on you but if you listen to the catenary and tracks you will know somethings coming.
 #691835  by gprimr1

I spent some time in West Park, along the banks of the S. River. With a little exploring, I found a hidden Spot that would be Greatgreat for photographing. Unfortunatly, it was very quiet that day, I think it's an extension of the high line.

Then I crossed the river and climbed up a rock face. It was unpleasent up there, lots of bugs and the rock was radiating heat horribly but the View of the S. River bridge was nice, except the sun would always backlight I think.