Railroad Forums 

• Best Place to see Toasters and ALP-44 before retirement

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1486277  by liftedjeep

ChesterValley wrote:Is this a SEPTA specific problem? Amtrak has had these units since 2014 and I don't recall them having issues like this
I believe Amtrak did/does experience issues with their fleet of City Sprinters. However, I was once told by an Amtrak employee that because Amtrak has such a large fleet of them, we (the public) never notice when one or a handful go out of service.
Ben
 #1486341  by blockline4180

CNJGeep wrote:2306 and 2308 are out and about today, pinch hitting for broken Sprinters.
Any idea the trains they are assigned to this week? Plan on going down there either tomorrow night or Friday if they are still being used.
 #1486345  by MACTRAXX

SP: Going to trainspot on either side of the Center City Tunnel during the PM Peak hour would be a good idea...
Just remember that gating of the SEPTA boarding areas at the CCP stations goes until 8PM-A ticket,pass or SEPTA Key
is needed to enter. A Zone 2 Weekday one way ticket will get you to Elkins Park from CCP...

Consider this: Tomorrow (Thursday) night at 7:00PM is the Philadelphia Chapter-NRHS meeting at Elkins Park Station.
The program (which I do not recall) is going to be a decent one-I plan to attend if at all possible...MACTRAXX
 #1486405  by eb684

blockline4180 wrote:
CNJGeep wrote:2306 and 2308 are out and about today, pinch hitting for broken Sprinters.
Any idea the trains they are assigned to this week? Plan on going down there either tomorrow night or Friday if they are still being used.
2308 was on train 9251/9254 today, and I think I saw it on the GVF yesterday AM.
 #1486415  by 8th Notch

ChesterValley wrote:Is this a SEPTA specific problem? Amtrak has had these units since 2014 and I don't recall them having issues like this
I haven’t seen a specific reason posted as to why they were “shopped” so we can’t assume there is a specific problem with the units. They can be shopped for a variety of reasons, major or minor.
 #1486558  by Wingnut

Yup they ain’t dead yet!

I’m taking a short ride to Radnor on the train with 2306. I also saw 2308 pushing the second afternoon West Trenton express. I get a kick out of how the ALP-44 gets sent to NJ so often. Who knows, maybe this is the last time for that??
 #1486560  by CNJGeep

glennk419 wrote:6378 had a Toaster on it last evening. Saw it passing Red Lion Road at 5:59 and was too far away to see the number but am guessing it was 2307.
2308 and 2306 both went to West Trenton on Thursday night. 2307 was set to run on 6374 on Wednesday but never made it out of Powelton.
 #1486872  by CNJGeep

mcgrath618 wrote:Why did SEPTA stop running push pulls on the Trenton Line?
Amtrak is doing heavy track work in the Trenton area. Equipment has to be shuffled around each night. It's an extra job, and not everyone is qualified on push-pulls.

That having been said, starting October 1st and continuing for about ten days anyone who wants to see not one, but two long push-pull sets, Trenton is the place to be.
 #1487253  by CNJGeep

The ACS thread is locked so this might be a good place to mention this.

Starting tomorrow, 10/1 and for the duration of the Amtrak switch replacement at Zoo, there will be two 8-Car Push-Pull sets on the Trenton Line.

Trains 1701/7406 & 9724 in the morning. Trains 9745 & 9747 in the evening. Note that 7406 will swap equipment with an Elwyn train in town and will not continue with the ACS to the Reading side.