Railroad Forums 

• Best overpasses to Railfan from in Philly/surrounding area

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#789033  by njtmnrrbuff

Hello All,
I plan to take a trip to Philly this Friday. Where are the best overpasses to railfan.
I'll only be by the 30th Street sta area. How is Spring Garden Street? I hope the neighborhood is safe to walk through there between PHL and the bridge. thanks.
 #789509  by kevikens

You might want to stay in the station itself. The upstairs platforms are Septa's but from them you can see a good deal besides Septa, like the high line and Race St yard. Or walk east along Market St to see CSX, south to see Amtrak come from under the station. I have found the area to be quite safe. On a weekday the area will be well populated. Don't go down stairs to the Amtrak boarding area as the Amtrak security will confront you.
 #789673  by njtmnrrbuff

especially with the new photo policy that is tough to understand. Yep, Amtrak employees at 30th St really enforce the rules.

I see that there is a parking lot at the same level as the street overlooking the NEC from the north. Do you think I would have good chance of being hassled there. It's to the left of that new building which I think is a hotel. thanks.
John
 #790077  by chuchubob

The Grays Ferry Ave bridge is a good location for SEPTA and Amtrak photos, as well as an occaisional CSX freight.
The bridge is a short walk from SEPTA's Route 11 and 36 trolleys, exiting at the 47th and Woodland stop. Free on street parking is also available at the west end of the bridge.
 #790150  by njtmnrrbuff

Thanks, Bob. However, I'm going to save that bridge for another time, and work within the vicinity of 30th Street because, I plan to catch the rush hour on the Main Line at Overbrook, Bryn Mawr, and perhaps Ardmore. I'll probably depart 30th Street on the 4:25 Septa R5 out of 30th Street for Overbrook.
Bob, how is the parking lot at 30th Street, that is level to street level for photographing movements from the north and east on the NEC? Thanks.