Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#251965  by AMTK84

A discussion has started in another thread concerning the ins and outs of opporation of an MP36PH-3S vs. an F40PHM-2 from an engineer standpoint. From what I am told, the favored units are F40PH's; but when it comes to A/C it is the MP36. Given a choice between a Winnebago and an MP36, one engineer said that he would rather have an MP36. Amung numerous other things, he said that they have wheel slip problems, don't load like they should, he doesn't like the radio configuration...And a lot of other things I am vaguely awhere of...But I want to check my facts before I go posting stuff.

#252004  by c604.

If only once, I would like to see a fully functional MP36 run with its environmental friendly loading sofware taken out so that it loads as fast as an F40 or E9. Now THAT would be one serious locomotive.

#252110  by Tadman

Do MU's count? If so, I nominate those, because there is no prime mover behind the engineer making noise, and on some the engineer can open the door next to him for ventilation on nice days. This has got to be the best part of operating an MU. Also, their rapid acceleration likely makes it easier to stay on schedule when operating a heavier train. This is all conjecture, as I've never operated either.

#252328  by MetraF40C607

True is what you said, but it's not really easier to keep it on schedule. Actually, the schedule on that line, you will find, is a tight one with minimal time, because Metra did take into consideration that the MUs can move quickly, thus closing the schedule.
 #257121  by NIRCMAN

As a Metra engineer I will tell you the f40's are the tops when it comes to response to the throttle, and the feel of the brakes. The mp36 engines are definitely more comfortable. The locomotive has it's own HEP so that you always have heat and air. They also have an extended range dynamic brake that makes it easier to recover from bad judgement when stopping.