Railroad Forums 

• Best Chance to See Freight in Norwich, NY

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#43802  by SeldenJrFireman

I will be on vacation up there from August 26 to the 29. I would really like to tape a train rolling through town. Any info on a good spot in the area and times are appreciated.

Mike W.

#44054  by DH7409

The 26th will probably be your best bet. Trains don't always run on fridays and saturdays. Lately the whole line has been covered by UT1. This train comes south from utica and goes to chenango Forks or Binghamton and returns north. IT NOT CONSISTANT. Keep a scanner handy tuned to 161.295 and 160.620. Form "D"s on the UT side are given as "MPU" "U" for Utica LineNorwich is MPU 232-234. MP 233 is just north of the passenger station. There are many good spots at most of all the RR crossings Topp's Supermarket parking lot is across from the old freight house and is very wide open. This is the main crossing in town, East Main St. The firehouse there is under renovation and is rather unsightly at the moment, but is an interesting building. Last Thursday the train tied down in Sherburne, about 12 miles north of Norwich. They then must have went to Bigo in wee morning hours because by 10:30am friday they were position to go north from Sherburne. GP20s have been the regular power, but anything can show up to get to the Utica Shops.
Good Luck, your gonna need it.

Tim

#44074  by SeldenJrFireman

Thanks tim. I had heard that they were going to convert the old firehouse into a jail, which doesen't seem right because there is a jail by the courthouse and one up in pharsailia. I will definitely try to see a train thursday and possibly might venture up to utica. I did Hear the train once up at my Aunts cabin in plymouth, Which is a good 10-15 miles from the tracks.

thanks again tim.

Mike

#48019  by SeldenJrFireman

I caught a train sitting just shy of the Sewage Plant in norwich on 8/26 heading north towards utica. It consisted of a GP20 and about 4 or 5 covered hoppers.

#48069  by NYSW3614

FYI all- Good clue for northbounds out of Bingo- if they get a Form D from PORT to FORKS its a good bet they're going up the Syracuse side. If from PORT to UXXX (beyond MPU202), its a Utica train.