• Be on the look out this week of 5/18 new power

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by train2

Everyone be on the look out this week. Marc mentioned in a news report that the first new unit would enter service around the 18th of May.

Here is my question, news said first runs would be on Penn line. However, am I not correct that lot of the Brunswick/Camden line train make mid-day runs as diesel trains on the Penn line during the mid-day. Will this mean a new unit could be seen on both lines right away?

Anyone know what train, by train number the new unit should be on?

T2
  by realtype

train2 wrote:Everyone be on the look out this week. Marc mentioned in a news report that the first new unit would enter service around the 18th of May.

Here is my question, news said first runs would be on Penn line. However, am I not correct that lot of the Brunswick/Camden line train make mid-day runs as diesel trains on the Penn line during the mid-day. Will this mean a new unit could be seen on both lines right away?

Anyone know what train, by train number the new unit should be on?

T2
They meant that they would run the train on a "dedicated" Penn Line set, of which there are six (6-9 cars long). The Brunswick/Camden/Frederick based sets are 3-5 cars long, so they wouldn't use them on those sets anyway. Most Penn sets are flogged up and down the Penn Line, so the unit will probably be on a number of trains.
  by HokieNav

My bet's on the set that makes the 6:24 departure from Odenton (I think that makes it the 405) - that's the "long" diesel set on the Penn Line at 7 cars. I usually take the train before that, but I'll probably head in a little late Monday morning to see if I get lucky. :D
  by HokieNav

Didn't see anything yesterday.

Have to drive to work today, as I've got an after work dinner in Reston (and waiting for the Silver line to get there would make me late by several years! :P)
  by train2

Yes, I figured they might not make the 18th exactly but they might get one out this week. I will also be curious if the run solo or in tandem with an older unit. If I were in charge I would not let the new engines out on the road solo until they get a few runs in with a protect engine riding either in front or behind.
  by realtype

train2 wrote:Yes, I figured they might not make the 18th exactly but they might get one out this week. I will also be curious if the run solo or in tandem with an older unit. If I were in charge I would not let the new engines out on the road solo until they get a few runs in with a protect engine riding either in front or behind.
You're probably right, that's what they did with the rebuilt AEM-7's. I have yet to see motor 4902 run solo. It's always run with 4901 or an Amtrak AEM-7DC.
  by train2

Any sighting yet? Hear of any delays?
  by train2

FYI: I had a few hours yesterday Wed. 5-27 and watched a major portion of the PM rush on the Penn Line. I did not see any new units from 3-6:30PM south of Balto.
  by realtype

train2 wrote:FYI: I had a few hours yesterday Wed. 5-27 and watched a major portion of the PM rush on the Penn Line. I did not see any new units from 3-6:30PM south of Balto.
Well, then it isn't in service yet, not surprisingly, since you would have seen all the long consists used on the Penn Line. I'm not riding MARC currently so I can't look out for it. Hopefully they'll be in service by June.
  by HokieNav

10 overnighted at WAS Tuesday night/Wednesday morning in a line of GP's just past the platforms where there usually is some MARC gear laying adrift. Still nothing in service that I've seen.
  by Rail Boy

I can't see them being used to Perryville. Being only good for 90mph with a train, that doesn't cut the mustard up there. You need to have the full 110mph to make the schedule and outrun the Acela's in the afternoon.
  by realtype

Rail Boy wrote:I can't see them being used to Perryville. Being only good for 90mph with a train, that doesn't cut the mustard up there. You need to have the full 110mph to make the schedule and outrun the Acela's in the afternoon.
Maybe Amtrak will clear them for 110mph once they've been up and down the NEC for a few weeks.