Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: JamesT4, metraRI

by CSS&SB702

Does anyone know the whereabouts of any of the old bay window cabooses?

by dinwitty

I recall there is/was one caboose sitting next to the line just off property somewhere on display..kindof...

http://www.denverrails.com/db/stlist.cf ... N=44829954

found this..

ADD TO YOUR TRIP!
Create a Link to this Listing! HAMMOND CIVIC CENTER
HAMMOND, INDIANA -
Description: LOCOMOTIVE(S) ON DISPLAY
# Also: RAILCAR(S) ON DISPLAY

Comments/Directions:
NYC&StL 2-8-2 #624 and a CSS&SB caboose are on display.

by MikeF

The caboose in Hammond used to be on display right next to the tracks in Beverly Shores.

by PRRGuy

Yes, there is a CSS&SB caboose on display there. Unfortunately, it's been burned out so there's not much left but 4 walls on a frame on two trucks, no ceiling and floor.

by CSS&SB702

I took pictures of the one at Beverly Shores back in 1984. Seems like it wasn't there very long. Does anyone have any pictures of it recently since it's burning?

by PRRGuy

CSS #106? as she is today in Hammond, IN

by PRRGuy

and yet another site has an Un number CSS bay window listed for Felton, DE

by PRRGuy

hmm...yet another listing for #1066, this time at the B&O museum

by CSS&SB702

Back in the early 80's when these were retired, I remember seeing an ad in Trains (?) magazine offering one of these for sale. $8000. It was located somewhere in the NE. If only I had the space......... :wink:

by PRRGuy

Tell me about it, I'd love to have one of those...the ultimate train room!

by PRRGuy

I was looking thru the RRcaboose yahoo group and someone had shots of the CSS&SB caboose in coloma, WI

by pennsy

Hi Fellas,

Nice shots of the Bay Window Cabeese. Now, I have a Bay Window Caboose with a Cupola on top, in HO gauge, on my layout. Very unusual caboose. Yet I have heard this was not that unusual. Anyone have photos of such a caboose ??

by PRRGuy

The only caboose that comes to mind like that would be a New Haven Caboose that Penn central converted to a bay window.

by Tadman

I notice one of PRR"s posts shows a caboose at B&O museum. I understand the rationale for donating it - the 13 year ownership stretch of C&O/B&O - but the B&O museum has so little to do with CSS and is so far away, it strikes me the CSS collection at the B&O museum is better of in NW Indiana or at least at IRM. I'm not under some illuson that Gerry Hanas will let people run 803 on weekends for kicks, but somewhere like the NYC museum in Elkhart is more conducive to getting Chicago traction fans in.