Railroad Forums 

• Bay Ridge

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #440368  by Spartan Phalanx

I passed by the 65th Street Yard last week on my way to taking Leif Ericcson Dr. to the Belt Pkwy. Every track in the yard was full of cars. I couldn't see if the team tracks where building products are delivered had cars spotted on it, though. Are these incoming cars from NYNJ Rail, waiting for NYA to pick them up, or are they empties that NYA is waiting for NYNJ Rail to ship over to New Jersey? Are the team tracks on the north side of the yard switched by NYA or by NYNJ Rail? Thanks.
 #440786  by SwitchMonkey

1. Team tracks are to the right, err, west? of the yard ... 2 are OOS and are now a parkinglot for NYC DOT and NYPD, two more are used to service Tristate Brick.

2. That logjam is mainly empties for brentwood, loaded beer cars for Bayridge and Bushwich and a track of uselee dirt cars for the stalled move at Maspeth (that hole is empty now).

3. The reason why the yard is extra packed is becuase of several sequential problems, in no particular order:
A. A Tornado,
B. NYNJ and the death of their Float Bridge
C. Roslyn Road
D. Queens interlocking switch replacement.
These situations, pretty much one after another, screwed up what little flow was possible and plugged up the yard ...

And If you think that was full .. see what it will look like Monday evening at 5pm!
 #441301  by b&p rupture

SwitchMonkey wrote: 2. That logjam is mainly empties for brentwood, loaded beer cars for Bayridge and Bushwich and a track of uselee dirt cars for the stalled move at Maspeth (that hole is empty now).

What's the shelf life for beer in a hot car? And whose beer is it? (I want to shop elsewhere...)

#441328  by jayrmli

As long as the Rocky Mountains on the can turn blue, you'll be alright. :wink:

Jay

#442161  by Mr rt

NYNJ aka NY Cross Harbor float is totally dead now ?
What happened ... they forgot to leave a barge attached to it & it sunk again or the little leak isn't little anymore ?

#442226  by Nova55

Float in Greenville took a dump...there back running now...Just got a new and long overdue Pontoon for the bridge in Brooklyn to...

#442264  by BobLI

While passing over the Bay Ridge line on the F train I noticed how straight the ROW and track is there. Whats the longest tangent on the line?

#443647  by Mr rt

Nova 55,
That's very interesting that NY-NJ (NY Cross Harbor) would spend money on the Brooklyn side. nycDOT has been trying for the longest time to get them out of there & switch to THEIR float.

#443707  by Nova55

Mr rt wrote:Nova 55,
That's very interesting that NY-NJ (NY Cross Harbor) would spend money on the Brooklyn side. nycDOT has been trying for the longest time to get them out of there & switch to THEIR float.
Not since they won the lawsuit against the city..
City gave them a 500k grant last year for the new pontoon.

#444131  by willchill

What is the speed on the Bay Ridge Branch, 20?

#444967  by jayrmli

10 MPH

#445364  by Crabman1130

Why is it 10mph? Is it track conditions? Who is responsible for maintance on that line?

#445414  by Nova55

Crabman1130 wrote:Why is it 10mph? Is it track conditions? Who is responsible for maintance on that line?
They just redid a nice portion of it to..
 #446063  by freightguy

There was a misprint on an NYAR timetable that cleared it for 25 mph with horrid track conditions! I once read in a book it was geared for 60 mph, I do not remember for pasgr or frt?

#446304  by jayrmli

I believe the speed on the line in better days was 40 MPH. The New Havens may have been able to go faster than that though.

Track condition is only one factor in determining the speed. The switches are generally automatic safety switches with no locks. Very easy for kids to throw switches in front of a train. It's a lot easier to avoid an accident at 10 MPH.

And we haven't even mentioned the trespassers, debris, etc...

Jay