Railroad Forums 

• Bay Ridge Br Customers

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #699352  by DaveBarraza

Are there any freight customers on the Bay Ridge branch, or does it exist solely to connect with the car float and NS ?

Thanks
 #699771  by Mr rt

Dave, Two of your friends from Branford walked a big part of that line a few years ago.
The other one, not me, lives in a apt. on Flatbush Ave & considers himself an expert on Bay Ridge goings on.
The quantity of "customers" has fallen in recent years, but I'll let the BMT Man say more.
 #706087  by MNR's #1 Conductor

DaveBarraza wrote:Are there any freight customers on the Bay Ridge branch, or does it exist solely to connect with the car float and NS ?

Thanks
CBS Foods, about a mile or so south of Fresh Pond

Gershow Recycling, right along the L Line in Brownsville (Brooklyn)

NYC Transit Linden Yard

Favorite Plastics, just down fro Linden Yard (NYCT)

Though I forgot the name, I think somewhere near Utica Avenu in that area along the line there is a beer/beverage distribution center which receives cars as well.
 #706266  by jayrmli

Though I forgot the name, I think somewhere near Utica Avenu in that area along the line there is a beer/beverage distribution center which receives cars as well.
That would be Manhattan Beer.

They also used to have business at Brooklyn Terminal Market as well. Don't know if they still get any cars.

Jay
 #706319  by Jayjay1213

Don't forget Heritage paper, Roselli (Brooklyn Resources), and Glenwood Mason.

Not sure if Heritage still gets cars anymore, I doubt it.
 #706430  by Jayjay1213

There was a concrete ramp and platfrom next to the track. They would just run a forklift across the street and thru a gate in the fence to the boxcars.
 #710211  by BMT

Dave, not sure if Glenwood Masonary is still getting cars, but one of the BIG customers on the line is The Auto Gobbler (recycling). There is a railcar scale built into the ROW behind that business which is between Ralph and Kings Highway, just down a ways from Favorite Plastics.

Obviously, with the slowed economy, alot of their local business has dropped off. I remember when the siding was added a few years back around E.56th Street for Manhattan Beer Distributors, so I would hope it's still being utilitized.

So how's your layout coming? Is it true your switches are pneumatic-powered?
 #1180822  by DaveBarraza

The like the real railroads I got tired of dealing with the air distribution! All new construction is using electrics. I like the Tam Valley Depot Servos.

Started the layout over again in 2012 when I moved to Queens. It will feature Bushwick, Fresh Pond, Farmingdale, Deer Park, Pine Aire, KO, Medford, Yaphank, and RIverhead. Also LIC and Greenport exist as places for the passenger trains to run to.

Currently Bushwick, Fresh Pond, and LIC have track laid and I'm working on staging tracks and Farmingdale.

Major customers will be Waste Management, Coastal, Astro Ready Mix, Emjay.
Minors are Manhattan Beer, Yang Ming, NY building supply, Marjam, ELM Global, Rock Tenn, Prima Asphalt, Gershow, Medford Team, Riverhead Building Supply, Paraco, Allied Extruders.

Because it's my universe, Fresh Direct (which in real life has the old Case Paper siding in LIC) is taking large shipments by rail. (Why don't they, I wonder?)
 #1427147  by Lupo10

Went online tonight looking for photos of the Glenwood Mason loading dock. Looking to use it as a backdrop photo for the model railroad. I know it's likely a very difficult photo to get but anything would help

Thanks, Joe
 #1427984  by rscott417

DaveBarraza wrote:
The like the real railroads I got tired of dealing with the air distribution! All new construction is using electrics. I like the Tam Valley Depot Servos.

Started the layout over again in 2012 when I moved to Queens. It will feature Bushwick, Fresh Pond, Farmingdale, Deer Park, Pine Aire, KO, Medford, Yaphank, and RIverhead. Also LIC and Greenport exist as places for the passenger trains to run to.

Currently Bushwick, Fresh Pond, and LIC have track laid and I'm working on staging tracks and Farmingdale.

Major customers will be Waste Management, Coastal, Astro Ready Mix, Emjay.
Minors are Manhattan Beer, Yang Ming, NY building supply, Marjam, ELM Global, Rock Tenn, Prima Asphalt, Gershow, Medford Team, Riverhead Building Supply, Paraco, Allied Extruders.

Because it's my universe, Fresh Direct (which in real life has the old Case Paper siding in LIC) is taking large shipments by rail. (Why don't they, I wonder?)
Do you post layout photos and/or progress here?