Railroad Forums 

• Bay Colony Millis Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1593087  by craven

The article referenced is the ending of rail cars moving cement to the barges which ended December 2021.

There is another article on the Dragon website which states the existing rail cars need to be replaced in 2022. Don't know if that means they are waiting for new cars now or is there a phase in plan during the year.
 #1593090  by MaineCoonCat

craven wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:14 pm The article referenced is the ending of rail cars moving cement to the barges which ended December 2021.
According to the article, the last planned shipment by barge from the South End marine terminal in Rockland departed on 13 January 2022. That would be 7 days after the delivery to Tresca.
 #1594583  by MaineCoonCat

WOW! I wonder how much, if any, the demurrage was on that.. Was Tresca using them to store cement until they needed it?
 #1595068  by craven

Stopped by to visit the 1701 today.

The cement cars stagged at Medfield Jct. are gone.
Island Road is empty of cars.
1701 is looking for work.
 #1595097  by Who

Will this be the start of regular cement shipments to and from Rockland, ME?
 #1595143  by NHV 669

Who wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:37 am Will this be the start of regular cement shipments to and from Rockland, ME?
These were cars that left Thomaston three plus months ago. There are no more shipments via barge from Rockland, as stated above.
 #1597704  by craven

Stopped by to visit the 1701 today. No cars at Island Rd. but the spur looks like it has been recently cleared of spring growth. Rail and a couple of bundles of ties remain at the switch on the Framingham secondary. Maybe something, maybe nothing.
 #1597708  by GP40MC1118

Bay Colony has been doing trackwork, ditching on the Watuppa Branch in Dartmouth the past few weeks. Have not heard of any work slated
for the Medfield line.
 #1598019  by Douglasphil

Is it Bay Colony doing the work or Mass Coastal? I ask because the Wattuppa line is in Mass Coastal's ETT. If Bay Colony is still running the line what are they using for power?
 #1598030  by GP40MC1118

Bay Colony is doing the work, which has ended as of a week or so ago. They own the physical plant of their portion of the Watuppa from New Bedford to MP6.

Mass DOT owns the real estate under the track. BCLR handles traffic for Mass Coastal on the branch. The only BCLR customer is Dartmouth Building Supply at Reed Rd. Colonial Beverage no longer uses rail - at least to this location. Mid-City Scrap at the end of the line in Westport is actually a MC customer.

BCLR has two units on the Watuppa - GP9's 1705 and 1706.
 #1600080  by craven

Stopped by to visit the 1701 today. 1701 resting in her nest looking for work. The spur has 2 to 3 feet high weed growth.

Nothing happening... wondering if Tresca is trucking their cement in from the G&U's Hopedale FlyAsh/Cement facility.