Railroad Forums 

• Australia's West Coast Wilderness Railway

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1554511  by Mollie

Hi All

Another trip report if anyone's interested - this one is a little random but a super interesting trip on Tasmania's West Coast Wilderness Railway between the tiny remote towns of Strahan and Queenstown. What makes this trip interesting is the historic 1896 built steam locomotives that pull the train up at one point a 1:15 (6.67%) grade - the steepest ascent in the Southern Hemisphere - on an ABT rack and pinion system.

https://trainreview.com/article/explori ... ss-railway

I thought it may be of interest.

I hope everyone is safe and well!
 #1554643  by Gilbert B Norman

Good Golly Miss Mollie---

You certainly are well traveled.

While there is some possibility I might burn off my US$2200 United Airlines voucher towards the US$7000 Business Class fare that expires April '22 (I don't expect the COVID "all clear" much before Xmas '21) on a journey Down Under, I think Tasmania during your later Fall might get a bit "nippy" - same I've heard about Melbourne, VIC.

My Niece lives near Sydney, NSW - actually in Pymble. The nearest hotel at which you'd see me staying is in Chatswood, and of course I'm going to see her, with "glances" at her husband and her two "tweens". The trip would be two weeks MAX (I'm not my Sister who goes down and STAYS WITH THEM for SIX weeks.

While a journey on one of the "Luxotrains" you have written about looks "nice', I'm not sure if they look "AU$2K a day nice". Somehow I think my rail travel would be limited between YSSY/SYD, Chatswood, and Pymble. Hopefully, Sydney Trains sells a pass good for two weeks (AU$100 I'd call a fair price).
 #1555057  by Mollie

I hope you make it down here - have you been down before?
I'd guess the end of 2021 is a good bet - I can't see Australia opening its border without a vaccine (which means Australian domestic travel for me...)

I'm in Melbourne so biased, but apart from the lockdowns it is an amazing city (we had 0 new COVID cases today - can't wait for the city to get back to its old self!) - definitely worth the trip down.

I'm not too sure about hotels on the north shore - Chatswood definitely has some, but it might be more convenient to stay in the city and ride a few more stops - Chatswood has a massive shopping mall but there are a lot more restaurants and other amenities in the CBD or North Sydney.

Let me know if you need any Melbourne or train tips! Luckily the luxury trains down here are cheaper if you have USD :grinning:
 #1555148  by west point

Mollie " My youngest daughter lives and works in Sydney. Had hoped to visit her this year but ------. Now maybe 2022 if my health holds up. So far have only been able to access the Railpage australia fan site. do you know of any others ?
 #1555149  by west point

Mollie " My youngest daughter lives and works in Sydney. Had hoped to visit her this year but ------. Now maybe 2022 if my health holds up. Looking for 6 - 8 weeks. So far have only been able to access the Railpage australia fan site. do you know of any others ?
 #1555152  by Gilbert B Norman

Miss Molly, it seems as if Chatswood is about half way between Sydney Central Station and Pymble. There is a hotel in Pymble itself, the Pymble Hotel, but a "walk down the hall" to the shared potty is "well, not my thing anymore". The place as reviewed on Trip Advisor looks like a dump. Various major brands appear to be in Chatswood.

Of course, I'll want to go to a concert, maybe even at the Opera House, and so will my Niece - hey with UNK in town to "pop", go for it girl.

All of this depends on what COVID decides to do, if Her Majesty opens the borders (she is your Head of State). my health at 81, and realizing it will be some three days of "funk" recovering from jet lag.