Railroad Forums 

• ATS Equipped Locomotives

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#572715  by urrengr2003

GRS Schedule II Train Stop was the NYC standard. It was my thought all road units (execpt P&LE 2800's) were equipped with this type Train Stop. This however is not the case; I can distinctly recall having Train Stop trouble on a second generation unit in the lead of a westbound out of Selkirk on a winter night in 1971 that was equipped with US&S Train Stop. The West Shore did not have ATS In Service so no problem exsisted until we got to the main line at Hoffmans. The ATS would not forestall the Restictive Signal at CP-11 and a penalty brake application was initiated that stopped the train. The lead unit of this train is lost to me now, but it did have US&S ATS with the unique penumatic Acknowledging Lever.

Does any reader of this forum have access to equipment data that indicate which units had US&S ATS after the merger? Did former PRR units come to the merge with ATS? Did former NYC units (other than P&LE) have US&S ATS?