Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#153975  by rvrrhs

Mark Schweber wrote:Absolutely the people going to the PGA from Manhattan are the ones who should have to change in Newark. Run any extra trains you want out of Hoboken. I was furious that they cancelled trains for the Republican convention but an argument could be made there that security concerns have changed, making extra precautions required. But this is worse. Its a dumb sporting event. Who cares how people get to it. If the PGA doesn't like it let them go somewhere else. It is not like anyone other than those in Springfield who rent out parking spaces are going to be making any money off this.
Not sure there's gonna be as much money-making in Springfield this time out. A recent Star-Ledger showed several of the streets nearest Baltusrol's main gate will be closed (security? parking? media?--I don't know). Last time, there was also parking in the Houdaille Quarry and onto the then-unfinished I-78, and also along Mount View Rd. This time, there's no mention of the quarry in the PGA's tournament Web site http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/2005/, Mount View Rd. was definitely one of the streets to be closed, and I-78 is of course now completed.

If you look at the PGA info, they emphasize the parking in the Meadowlands, and they also hype the NJT service.

There will probably be more money-making opportunities a dozen or more blocks away from the golf course instead of in the surrounding neighborhoods.
 #154158  by rbenko

Too bad there won't be any first-class 'shuttle' service from Summit to Baltusrol via the Rahway Valley like they had for the '80 Open. The M&E missed their opportunity by not rehabbing the track in time!! :wink:

Well, there's always the next tourney down the line - here's to seeing a big Red M&E Alco pulling some PV from Summit to the Golf course in the 'near' future!!

#155277  by njt4172

Anyone have any updates on how it went today???? NJT says they added 37 new trains between NY/Hoboken and Summit.... If anyone knows the consists and equipment that was used please post!! I plan on fanning on Thursday or Friday....

Thanks,
Steve

#155368  by Idiot Railfan

"Flatten out golf courses and put up low-income housing! Let those [explitive deleted] golf wimps go play a real game that involves some exercise!!"

-- Prof. George Carlin

I could not have said it better myself.

#155370  by nick11a

Idiot Railfan wrote:"Flatten out golf courses and put up low-income housing! Let those [explitive deleted] golf wimps go play a real game that involves some exercise!!"

-- Prof. George Carlin
You mean Mr. Conductor, right?

#155424  by thebigc

nick11a wrote:
Idiot Railfan wrote:"Flatten out golf courses and put up low-income housing! Let those [explitive deleted] golf wimps go play a real game that involves some exercise!!"

-- Prof. George Carlin
You mean Mr. Conductor, right?
You lost me there, Nick.

#155430  by pgengler

thebigc wrote:
nick11a wrote:You mean Mr. Conductor, right?
You lost me there, Nick.
George Carlin played the role of "Mr. Conductor" in "Shining Time Station" for a while (between 1991 and 1993). I wonder how much he's "into trains," considering he's landed roles in both "Shining Time Station" and as the narrator for "Thomas the Tank Engine" (and it making a 'guest appearance' on an episode in January).

#155435  by nick11a

pgengler wrote:
thebigc wrote:
nick11a wrote:You mean Mr. Conductor, right?
You lost me there, Nick.
George Carlin played the role of "Mr. Conductor" in "Shining Time Station" for a while (between 1991 and 1993). I wonder how much he's "into trains," considering he's landed roles in both "Shining Time Station" and as the narrator for "Thomas the Tank Engine" (and it making a 'guest appearance' on an episode in January).
Yup. After Ringo Starr, there was George Carlin.

#155453  by njt4172

I do know Ringo Starr is a bit of a model railroad buff, but I never knew George Carlin was..?

#155478  by Mudvalve

"Golf courses and cemeteries, biggest wastes of real estate"

#155498  by Jtgshu

YEA!! George Carlin, the same George Carlin who did the 7 dirty words, and all that other terrific comedy was the Conductor on "Shining Time Station" - he was the 2nd though - Ringo Starr was the first one.

First time I saw him on it, i definately did a double take!

#155515  by JoeG

IR's idea of making golf courses into low-income housing appeals to me. Golf is the most decadent sport. And, how many regular people are members of an elite golf course like Baltrusol? The fact that NJT is mistreating its regular passengers in favor of the golf spectators is particularly appalling.

#155518  by JLo

, how many regular people are members of an elite golf course like Baltrusol?
I know at least one. A friend of mine was a poor kid from Jersey who worked his butt off to become one of New Jersey's top trial attorneys. He joined Baltusrol because he loves golf. Does that make him a bad guy or an elitist?

#155522  by rvrrhs

JLo wrote:
, how many regular people are members of an elite golf course like Baltrusol?
I know at least one. A friend of mine was a poor kid from Jersey who worked his butt off to become one of New Jersey's top trial attorneys. He joined Baltusrol because he loves golf. Does that make him a bad guy or an elitist?
If he's a "top trial attorney," he is not "regular people," although I don't doubt he may be a "regular guy." Dubya is a "regular guy" (at least that's his image), but as a multi-millionaire oil exec., he's not "regular people."

No offense, but I would say he's an elitist. If he wasn't, he would have taken a membership at Suburban in Union or Shackamaxon in Scotch Plains, or stuck with municipal/county courses.

#155525  by JLo

No offense, but I would say he's an elitist. If he wasn't, he would have taken a membership at Suburban in Union or Shackamaxon in Scotch Plains, or stuck with municipal/county courses.
I would take offense except that your logic is downright silly. I know the man and am confident that he is the farthest from elitist you can get. And since when does your profession make you an elitist? Under your logic, if you are a Kennedy but work as a public defender, you are not an elitist. Also, taking your logic even further, an elitist would NEVER join any club that excludes anyone. Thus, he would have joined no club.