Railroad Forums 

• Article in Chicago Tribune Today on Railfans

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#92610  by Hambone

Interesting, thank you. Man, I used to photograph locomotives at all the engine houses, all over Chicago, never had a trouble. Wonder how bad it is these days?

#92618  by MikeF

Hambone wrote:Interesting, thank you. Man, I used to photograph locomotives at all the engine houses, all over Chicago, never had a trouble. Wonder how bad it is these days?
Not as bad as the media and those who have had trouble might lead you to believe. I've been "seriously" photographing trains in this area for a few years now and I have never been told to stop. It's no longer possible to just walk into engine houses and take pictures, and there are a lot of places that are posted against trespassing, but rail photography is certainly not off-limits entirely, as some people seem to think.

#92643  by Hambone

Oh, I've never really been able to do that, just shoot em' outside the engine houses from the car, really.
Although, I've wandered into the Bensenville Diesel House a few times over the years. I actually got some cool pics in there, the last night of the Milwaukee Road in 85', at about 2 am!
I miss doin' that stuff. I don't know, railfanning out here in the NW just isn't that exciting to me, after coming from Chicago.