Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by AmtrakFan

Group,
When I was on the Hiawahata July 11th and 15th. I didn't see 611/614 in it's normal spot why was that?

by metraRI

Nope, 611 and 614 are in the same spot as of Friday. You can't really see them unless Western Ave. is close to empty which is basicly anytime except between the hours of 9-5.

by MikeF

metraRI wrote:You can't really see them unless Western Ave. is close to empty
... or you drive by on Grand Avenue, from which 611 and 614 are always in plain view.

by F40CFan

What about the other 13 F40Cs? Anyone hear anything about them lately?

by AmtrakFan

F40CFan wrote:What about the other 13 F40Cs? Anyone hear anything about them lately?
They are at Helm in KC.

by F40CFan

WHat about 610? Is it still at Dixmoore.

by Scotty Burkhardt

610 is still at Dixmoor. NRE got some "new" GP40's and 610 is starting to get pushed to the rear of the property. My guess is that 610 has a long life of rusting to the rail ahead of her.

by F40CFan

That really sucks. You think that they'd at least be attractive to a tourist or dinner train operation.

by byte

F40CFan wrote:That really sucks. You think that they'd at least be attractive to a tourist or dinner train operation.
Maybe. But those types of operations seem to operate on a paycheck-to-paycheck basis and generally don't have the money for big rolling stock rehabs - which is what the Cs would need to be reliable at this point in time. Not to mention their six axles might not go over well with smaller operators, who generally prefer four axle power. Also, they've been sitting around the Helm facility (along with the one unit at NRE) for almost a year now. If they haven't started picking some of them over for parts already, I'd be suprised. More than likely this is what will happen to at least the 610, and after a while it'll join those rotting MKT geeps that have sat in the area of the facility near the expressway for years. The ones at Helm might have a better outlook, it's possible an upstart commuter operation that isn't satisfied with whatever MPI can give them (with good reason...) could obtain them and get them rebuilt with federal funding, but this is still a pretty remote possibility.

by metra 613

Yep It does suck to see 610 there. Its to bad irm didnt get it.Who knows maybe someone that likes them alot will win money have save them all boy i wish i had the money to do that.

by MikeF

What ever happened to Kansas City Southern's plans to lease Helm's F40C's this summer?

by MetraF40C607

"it's bad that IRM didn't get it"

Not it's not. 610 was the unit that caught fire when it's HEP blew up. Metra has promised us 614 or 611 when the 2 years is up that they need to be kept for money purposes.