Does anybody know what year the A&A wooden enginehouse at Arcade was built, and when the present "new" Cattaragus Creek bridge was installed, replacing the old one?
Moderator: Benjamin Maggi
"The Buffalo, Attica and Arcade are having piles driven into the bed of the Cattaraugus Creek. They will build a stone abutment on the piling and make a two span bridge of it. A petition is being circulated asking the town board to restrain them from building it. They claim it will dam the creek in times of high water." August 14, 1903It is funny that this was a concern when it was built. The Village had a very similar bridge just up the creek, on Church Street, with a center support, much the same way. In hind sight, that bridge stood that way, with supports in the creek for nearly 80 years!
"The BA&A are building an abutment in the center of the Cattaraugus Creek. It will be about 6 feet wide at the bottom and will taper up to three or four feet, and will be sharply pointed. They will put a new iron bridge on when the abutment is in. There have been claims made that this would tend to dam up the creek and cause a flood. We do not believe that it will do this the way they are going to build it." August 28, 1903