Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1296380  by NeoArashi

And by that, I mean that trains outside the Corridor seems to be a lot less late (During my trip to Halifax a month and half ago, I took 3 trains ( Ste-Foy to Halifax, Truro to Halifax and Halifax to Ste-Foy) and all them were exactly on time, and heck, when I took the train from Truro, it was actually 5 minutes early! How come trains seems to be more on time than before?

Also, I went train spotting in July, and the train I went to see (the only ones I can watch from hom is the Montreal-Quebec, and if I really want it, the Ocean at Ste-Foy) from Montreal was a pretty good 25 minutes late (Pretty hardcore for a ride that only last a bit over 3 hours)

Seems Corridor trains seems to have a hard time staying on time lately?
 #1296892  by marquisofmississauga

I had two trips to Halifax this summer season. One involved arriving in Halifax by ship, so it meant I had a one-way trip to Montreal on the "Ocean" but a round trip about three months later. My trains were on time or no more than a few minutes late. But there have been reports of some trains being quite late. I recently saw a photo of the e/b "Ocean" which was five hours late and I've read of other significantly late trains.

Then there's the "Canadian" which routinely arrives in Toronto between four and nine hours late. Today, for example, it arrived in Toronto at approximately 6:30 p.m.; it was due at 9:30 a.m. In March I was on #2 which arrived in Toronto over 15 hours late, which meant I was actually on board for five calendar days, admittedly not too much of the fifth day. These late arrivals mean the same consist and on-board crew depart often many hours late. Departures of 1:30 a.m. or 2:30 a.m. are common. I was told by a VIA employee that one day last week #1 (due out at 10:00 p.m.) was expected to depart at 2:30 a.m. but in fact didn't leave until almost 7:00a.m. Another employee told me #1 departed on time one day about two weeks ago and he said this was unusual. I don't have any details of arrivals in Vancouver but various reports show it many hours late. The only reliable point for the "Canadian" is departures from Vancouver which are usually on-time.

By comparison, the corridor seems to be doing better. I have been no more than 20 minutes late on my last eight corridor one-way trips, most of which were on time. I am aware that there have been some serious delays, but these are not common.
 #1297377  by NeoArashi

I went on a small 1 night trip to Montreal a few days ago, and was surprised at 2 things...

1-They called for passenger to get on the Montreal-Senneterre (despite being in the late afternoon) when I got to the Central Station to get on my train back to Quebec City.

2-Assuming the above call was a mistake (they are automated messages, right?) and actually meant that the train arrived from Senneterre (which must be the case, as this was last thursday, and that train goes from Senneterre back to Montreal on Tues/Thurs/Sundays) It means it was not only ON time, but actually a few minutes early (And the Montreal Sennettere is notorious for being one of the latest train in the province of Quebec... it once was over 90 minutes late from Senneterre at Sanmaur...), which is nothing short of a miracle.

That said, my number 26 trains only arrived 2-3 minutes late, despite having been ''tossed aside'' by a CN train.
 #1300277  by jp1822

So if the Canadian is to leave at 2:30 am, do they load the passengers at 10 pm so they can at least sleep and be onboard ready to go when give the green light?

There are many tour groups of older folks so having them sit in the lounge till 2:30 am before boarding the train for some sleep could be interesting at best, as could a 3:30 am arrival into Toronto......do they let passengers occupy the sleepers till a more friendly passenger hour?

I may be on the Canadian this winter, so curious as to how this works. If VIA can avoid putting people up in a hotel before the train's "next day morning departure" this has got to save them a LOT of money. But I would imagine crew rest is involved in some way? Can some other crew be called in if a late departure is known? Toronto has an extra train set right now right - with a twice a week operation?

Changing the schedule did nothing for this train, except make it run even later. Haven't been on it since the schedule change but this train must be spending a lot of times in sidings! OTP has got to be at an all-time low but VIA doesn't seem to care.....
 #1300908  by marquisofmississauga

jp1822 wrote:So if the Canadian is to leave at 2:30 am, do they load the passengers at 10 pm so they can at least sleep and be onboard ready to go when give the green light?

There are many tour groups of older folks so having them sit in the lounge till 2:30 am before boarding the train for some sleep could be interesting at best, as could a 3:30 am arrival into Toronto......do they let passengers occupy the sleepers till a more friendly passenger hour?

I may be on the Canadian this winter, so curious as to how this works. If VIA can avoid putting people up in a hotel before the train's "next day morning departure" this has got to save them a LOT of money. But I would imagine crew rest is involved in some way? Can some other crew be called in if a late departure is known? Toronto has an extra train set right now right - with a twice a week operation?

Changing the schedule did nothing for this train, except make it run even later. Haven't been on it since the schedule change but this train must be spending a lot of times in sidings! OTP has got to be at an all-time low but VIA doesn't seem to care.....
Fortunately I have not been on one of those "after midnight" departures. VIA staff tell me that boarding commences about a half hour before departure, so there is no early boarding for an 02:30 departure. The Union Station "Business Lounge", as the Panorama Lounge is now called, is very attractive and comfortable - for day use. It wouldn't be enjoyed for a middle of the night snooze, even though it is better than sitting out in the main station. Apparently it is not just the servicing and restocking of the train that determines the late departure time; rest time for the on-board crew is an issue. I have also been told if VIA knows that #1 is not going to be able to board and depart until 07:00 or later, hotel accommodations will be provided. The Strathcona is the hotel of choice, but some lucky passengers get the Royal York or other upscale hotels.

The arrival times have #2 have been somewhat better lately. Last Saturday's train was just an hour late and the previous arrival was about an hour and a half late. Departure times were posted as being on time.