Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1531807  by GirlOnTheTrain

I don't blame him in the least. Cuomo's ego won't let him share the spotlight, so Andy couldn't even properly do the job he was hired to do. The rank and file liked him because he actually would talk to you and listen to you, and the customers who are smart enough to figure out Cuomo is the problem seemed to like him as well.
 #1531833  by BuddR32

GirlOnTheTrain wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:33 pm I don't blame him in the least. Cuomo's ego won't let him share the spotlight, so Andy couldn't even properly do the job he was hired to do. The rank and file liked him because he actually would talk to you and listen to you, and the customers who are smart enough to figure out Cuomo is the problem seemed to like him as well.
Yup. Enter Political hack with no operational experience in 3, 2, 1....
 #1531835  by tommyboy6181

Unfortunately Cuomo thinks he's the savior of everything in the system when Byford actually has the experience and is well respected. Even worse was Cuomo's comments "He did the job for two years. You know, nobody does these jobs for a lifetime." came across as egotistical in a way. Here's the article: https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/01/23 ... rew-cuomo/

It's a big loss for a system that began making improvements. Both the MTA staff and the union liked working with him.
 #1532044  by Head-end View

Funny thing is a few years back when New Jersey was trying to get New York to help fund that tunnel, Cuomo balked saying "It's not my tunnel". His position was it was New Jersey's problem to solve, or maybe it was because NJ had a Republican governor at the time? So he's changed his tune now?
 #1532803  by Gilbert B Norman

The Times has an objective article regarding "the two Andys":

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/03/nyre ... d-mta.html

Fair Use:
One day in October, three powerful figures in New York affairs met for a serious lunch at Fraunces Tavern in Lower Manhattan.

On one side were Patrick J. Foye, the chairman of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, and Kathryn S. Wylde, the president of the Partnership for New York City, which represents business leaders.

In front of them sat Andy Byford, the head of the city’s subway and buses, who had beguiled New Yorkers in less than two years with his spirited efforts to turn around a transit system in crisis.

One day earlier, though, Mr. Byford had submitted a scorching letter of resignation that detailed grievances with his ultimate boss, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, including complaints that micromanaging by the governor and his office was making it impossible for him to do his job.
While I haven't been a farepayer on the TA since '15 (R and A Trains in Bklyn and A/AirTrain to JFK; "it got me there" in time for my flight - and a "helluvalotless" than the $70 for a taxicab coming in), I must wonder how many farepayer/voters will have this debacle on their minds come Nov '22. Funny how it is with these egomaniacs, stuff like this "firing" happen only during "mid-term".

David Gunn/Amtrak redux!

Finally I must ask; how does a State agency end up with control over a Local? Enquiring mind wants to know.
 #1532884  by andegold

Albany gained control for a variety of reasons. Bankruptcy and failure of the NYCRR and PRR caused the state takeover of the commuter lines and then bankruptcy and failure of the NYCTA and NYC in general lead to absorption of the buses, subways, bridges and tunnels. While the bridges, tunnels, subways and buses may all operate wholly within the city the tolls from the bridges and tunnels eventually were not enough to support the buses and subways also. They needed tax money from the suburbs. Enter the MTA sales tax surcharge, corporate income tax surcharge and most recently the MCTMT payroll tax. These taxes are assessed not just within the five boroughs but also in Nassau and Suffolk counties (Long Island) as well as Westchester, Rockland, Orange, Putnam and Dutchess. The only way the suburbs were going to agree to pay those taxes was if they also had a say in the management and disbursement.
 #1533192  by quad50cal

Head-end View wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:11 pm Funny thing is a few years back when New Jersey was trying to get New York to help fund that tunnel, Cuomo balked saying "It's not my tunnel". His position was it was New Jersey's problem to solve, or maybe it was because NJ had a Republican governor at the time? So he's changed his tune now?
I think it's funny that New Jersey passed a law in 2011 that banned residents of NY and PA from being employed in NJ public service jobs, then turns around and expects NY to cooperate in providing majority financing to a tunnel that primarily benefits NJ residents.

The only thing that changed was that NJ conceded its expectation that New York should pay for the majority of the project and accepted a 50-50 split.

tommyboy6181 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:08 am Unfortunately Cuomo thinks he's the savior of everything in the system when Byford actually has the experience and is well respected.
For many years, Cuomo left the MTA to its own devices and regularly ponied up money for East Side Access cost overruns without too many questions . It ended up ballooning into a fiasco. While Cuomo has been unfairly heavy handed with the MTA since 2017, it would be the definition of insanity for him to be trusting of the MTA.
 #1534634  by Head-end View

The news stations reported that today was Andy Byford's last day on the job. Once again I am so sorry to see him go. He was probably the most effective NYCTA chief since David Gunn back in the 1980's. :(