Railroad Forums 

• An NYC switcher in a Manhattan park?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#570482  by Dieter

Otto's eye is truthful -- it's the wrong font on the lettering. Nice Cigar Band but one thing stands out as totally wrong; the railings.

I don't think the Central ever had any diesel switchers with more than one horizontal bar on the railings. This one has two. OK, we have to take what we can get. Central only painted the TOP yellow, where a worker would be grabbing it with his hands. I don't like being picky, but if a group is going to do the job and spend all that money, GET IT RIGHT.

D/
 #570522  by enwhycentral

Why must a locomotive placed in a public park primarily for children to play on be prototypically accurate. Besides, this "playground" version is not a replica of any known NYC locomotive but merely a prop for kids young and old to clamber over and play make-believe engineer. My guess is that the two horizontal handrails are there to accomodate visitors big and small and is more of a safety measure than an accurate rendition of a handrail. Considering the bland and generic quality of public spaces in NY city, I commend the city and the private entity that funded this unusual and playful amenity.