Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by AmtrakFan

Group,
On Dec 10th Amtrak 7/8 will be detoruing on the MDN from Roundout to the CN Crossing around Libertyville. Few Question what is the top speed north of Roundout and how long would it take from Glenview to Libertyville? Haesn't happened in 17 Years until the 10th. To the Mods not sure if this was the right place if not move it to the Amtrak Board.

by MikeF

I've said it before, I'll say it again -- there is only one U in "Rondout."

The CN (WC) crossing is called Grays Lake Junction. If I recall correctly, the passenger speed limit on the Fox Lake line between Rondout and the CN is 70 mph. Metra's schedule time between Glenview and Prairie Crossing (which is just south of the CN junction) averages 37 minutes with six intermediate stops, so I would expect Amtrak to make it nonstop in 30 to 35 minutes.
Last edited by MikeF on Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

by AmtrakFan

Mike,
Thanks for the Grammer Correction. As you can all tell I can't spell :( Thanks for the speed Info.
  by czyzewc

Fox Lake Subdivision between Rondout and Grays Lake: Top speed passenger = 60 mph with portions 40 mph. Absolute-permissive automatic block signal (ABS) territory under movement authority via CP C&M dispatcher. Grays Lake interlocker controlled by CN South Dispatcher in Stevens Point.

Chris Czyzewski
Grayslake

by AmtrakFan

Mr. Czyzweski,
Thanks for the info. But 1 Question didn't it use to be 70MPH at one time as late as the early 90's?

by bones

Fox Lake sub between Rondout and Fox Lake is 60.

by doepack

Perhaps it's to accomodate the outbound Glenview passengers, but I wonder why they wouldn't just re-route 7/8 via CP/Metra's Elgin sub to B12, and pick up the CN there instead? Does anyone know Amtrak's rationale for choosing a portion of the Fox Lake sub for its reroute?

by MikeF

Probably, as you guessed, to keep the Glenview stop. Also, a Metra pilot (qualified engineer who rides in the cab and directs the Amtrak engineer) is required between Rondout and Grays Lake and a CN pilot is required between Grays Lake and Duplainville. They would both be needed for more time and mileage if Amtrak were to reroute via Franklin Park.
Last edited by MikeF on Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by doepack

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks, Mike... :-)

by AmtrakFan

Guys,
If 8 is ontime 7 will hold at Rondout for 8 to save a Metra Pilot.

by MetraF40C607

What?

by MikeF

MetraF40C607 wrote:What?
If Amtrak #8(8), the eastbound Empire Builder, is on-time, Amtrak #7(10), the westbound Empire Builder, will hold at Rondout to meet #8(8), allowing one Metra engineer to pilot both trains. What are the odds of a long-haul Amtrak train being on-time, though?

by meh

MikeF wrote:If Amtrak #8(8), the eastbound Empire Builder, is on-time, Amtrak #7(10), the westbound Empire Builder, will hold at Rondout to meet #8(8), allowing one Metra engineer to pilot both trains.
Aren't the ~8 miles of the Fox Lake line from Rondout to "Prairie Crossing" just a single track? I think that Metra schedules its meets and short turns at a second track at the Grayslake station, which makes me think there wouldn't be anywhere for 7 and 8 to meet west of Rondout anyway. I am not familiar with the WC/CN line north of the interlocking; is it double-tracked now?
MikeF wrote:What are the odds of a long-haul Amtrak train being on-time, though?
For the Empire Builder, the odds are better than for most. I can see it from my window at work and can hear it at home, and it's not too rare for it to be close to on time. If perfectly on time on the normal route, they meet very close to Rondout. (They are scheduled at Glenview 21 minutes apart, suggesting a meet roughly 10 minutes railroad-west of Glenview.)
MikeF wrote:...a CN pilot is required between Grays Lake and Duplainville
I see that Duplainville, WI, is west of Milwaukee. Is it known whether these trains will somehow serve their normal stop at Milwaukee? Or will there be a bus bridge from Milwaukee to somewhere west, such as Brookfield or Columbus, WI? (It is possible to book a trip from Milwaukee to Columbus on that day on amtrak.com, suggesting that some sort of service is being provided to Milwaukee.)

Finally, this is probably a stupid question since no one else has needed to ask it, but what's the original reason for this detour? I'm assuming it is some sort of track work between Rondout and Milwaukee. But it is possible to make reservations on the two Hiawathas [337(10) and 338(10)] which follow about an hour behind 7(10) and 8(08), so either the Hiawathas are operating as usual or the Amtrak site is not giving notice that buses will substitute.

by MikeF

meh wrote:Aren't the ~8 miles of the Fox Lake line from Rondout to "Prairie Crossing" just a single track?
Yes.
meh wrote:I am not familiar with the WC/CN line north of the interlocking; is it double-tracked now?
Not entirely, but there are sidings where the two trains could meet if necessary.
meh wrote:I see that Duplainville, WI, is west of Milwaukee. Is it known whether these trains will somehow serve their normal stop at Milwaukee? Or will there be a bus bridge from Milwaukee to somewhere west, such as Brookfield or Columbus, WI?
Empire Builder passengers will be bussed between Milwaukee and Columbus, Wis., while most of the Hiawatha service trains (#331, #333, #334, #335, #336, #337, #338, #339, #340, #341, #342 and #332[11]) will operate between Chicago and Milwaukee Airport only, with bus transportation between Milwaukee Airport and the downtown terminal.
meh wrote:Finally, this is probably a stupid question since no one else has needed to ask it, but what's the original reason for this detour?
Not a stupid question at all, and I'm surprised no one else asked. The detours are to accomodate a 24-hour work window between 08:15 Saturday, Dec. 10, and 08:15 Sunday, Dec. 11, while crews replace floor boards on the Kinnickinnic Bridge at C&M Sub MP 83.4.

by AmtrakFan

MikeF wrote:
MetraF40C607 wrote:What?
If Amtrak #8(8), the eastbound Empire Builder, is on-time, Amtrak #7(10), the westbound Empire Builder, will hold at Rondout to meet #8(8), allowing one Metra engineer to pilot both trains. What are the odds of a long-haul Amtrak train being on-time, though?
Slim and None but 4 was ontime today or close to it.