Railroad Forums 

• AMTRAK NEC: Springfield Shuttle/Regional/Valley Flyer/Inland Routing

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1577927  by Train60

BM1566GP7 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:16 pm There was trackwork going on just south of Greenfield.
495 (8/10) was scheduled to depart Greenfield at 5:45 am this morning. What kind of track work would be going on before sunrise?

495 (8/10) departed Northampton at 6:29 am, 19 minutes late, so on the surface it looks like they simply cut their loses and turned when they got to Northampton. Hopefully they provided transportation for the people waiting in Greenfield.
 #1578388  by asull85

twropr wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:28 am Anyone know what happened Mon. Aug. 9 that caused Valley Flyer 478 to turn at Northampton?
As a result train 495 originated at NHT instead of Greenfield.
Thanks
Andy
478 turning at NHT has nothing to do with 495 originating there the next morning. They are two separate jobs. 494/478 will turn at NHT and DH back to SPG if there are no passengers for GFD. Doesn't make sense to go there for nothing when the equipment goes back to SPG anyway.

495 originated in NHT on 8/9 because CSX couldn't get their act together and get them across the diamond in a timely fashion. So the decision was made to originate 495 in NHT to keep it on time and have 471 handle the GFD passengers for 495, if there even were any. This has happened before.
 #1582325  by daybeers

According to a conductor on 474 last week, all trains are now two cars instead of three cars they have been since mid-pandemic. I saw 475 last week with three cars still, which was changed in 2019. But they are going to have capacity issues soon; only about 15ish seats open on 471 today. I thought CT was paying for the extra cars but I guess not. Really too bad as I really wish they would move to an unreserved system for tickets from Amtrak, since it's not clear at all that paying the lowest Saver fare can actually be used on any train that day instead of more than double for a Value or Flexible one. But that can't be done until there's enough capacity.
 #1595476  by cle

lordsigma12345 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:39 pm Supposedly Amtrak will be extending a Keystone train to Springfield in FY22 in order to get another single seat through train between the SPG line and New York. This was from Amtrak legislative grant for FY23 document.
I guess it currently terminates at Penn, so would also be a new path up through New Haven too? Or replace something?
 #1595500  by STrRedWolf

cle wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:42 pm
lordsigma12345 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:39 pm Supposedly Amtrak will be extending a Keystone train to Springfield in FY22 in order to get another single seat through train between the SPG line and New York. This was from Amtrak legislative grant for FY23 document.
I guess it currently terminates at Penn, so would also be a new path up through New Haven too? Or replace something?
Yes, it terminates at NYP... but going up to Springfield will need a diesel added in New Haven.
 #1595600  by Greg Moore

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:04 am
cle wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:42 pm
Nah, they just build up enough speed and cost up to Hartford! :grinning:

Yes, it terminates at NYP... but going up to Springfield will need a diesel added in New Haven.
 #1605304  by BandA

Overlaps with the topic in the MBTA forum pittsfield-springfield-boston-east-west ... 70489.html. They want: Amtrak Inland Regionals + two additional trains per day ALB-BOS to supplement 448/449 Boston branch of the Lake Shore Limited which is one-a-day. Massachusetts is kicking the can down the road on Commuter Rail, high-speed rail, and setting up a new state authority to manage rail in Western Massachusetts, but there seems to be strong bipartisan support to spend Amtrak and Federal money along with state matching funds on this.
 #1605343  by Greg Moore

I think this is the right move. Yeah, it's sort of kicking the can down the road on HSR, but, I think "something now" is better than "maybe, someday, something later."

As I've said, heck, even at present speeds, a morning train to Boston would be of extreme interest to me. I really hope this happens.
 #1605351  by taracer

I agree, and I think that a service like this would actually be very popular in the Albany metro area, which is one of the top 50 CSA's in the country.

Trying not to be too political, but due to various issues, the Northeast in general is looking like it will have an increase in population over the coming years.

One of the huge selling points of Albany is that it is close to the major east coast cities. It makes sense to reinforce this tie with regular service. 448/449 are just too unpredictable, so any numbers based of that train pair are meaningless.

The automobile-based society is dying, now is the time to reinvest in rail. There is no reason why the Albany metro should not have good service to the Boston metro.

The distance is perfect for rail.