Railroad Forums 

• AMTRAK NEC: Springfield Shuttle/Regional/Valley Flyer/Inland Routing

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1519367  by lordsigma12345

I am guessing they must have gotten some sort of reprieve from the platform. Word for a while was they couldn’t start this service without completion, but then it happened. The platform is making progress and actually looks really nice - but probably has a few more weeks left yet. I will post photos later that I took today.
 #1519368  by gregorygrice

Kilo Echo wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:05 pm Furthermore, the perpetually delayed completion of platform C is infuriating. Why wasn't the new platform ready for the inaugural run of the new service?
Both were not planned together, but either way that has no affect on service. Tracks 8 and 6 are used full time and 4 is used during the nights and weekends.
 #1519405  by NH2060

Rockingham Racer wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:27 pm Ill-timed, don't you think? Right after the inception of a new service??
Even the Hartford Line didn't have a screw up this bad so early.

Kilo Echo wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:05 pm There are many factors militating against the Valley Flyer, especially the fare schedule. For example, an adult, one-way ticket (without additional discounts) from NHT to NHV costs $33. That fare, however, can be reduced to $25.75 by purchasing two tickets: NHT→SPG ($13) and SPG→NHV ($12.75).
I don't know if you would be allowed to combine tickets like that. This isn't taking Shore Line East from Stamford to New London when you could technically show 2 separate tickets for STM-NHV and NHV-NLC as there are two different sets of crews (Metro-North and Amtrak)
 #1519411  by Kilo Echo

NH2060 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:07 amI don't know if you would be allowed to combine tickets like that. This isn't taking Shore Line East from Stamford to New London when you could technically show 2 separate tickets for STM-NHV and NHV-NLC as there are two different sets of crews (Metro-North and Amtrak)
Assuming there were such a prohibition, I could purchase a CTrail Hartford Line ticket for the SPG-NHV leg (which Amtrak cross-honors), and simply inform the conductor I was changing to a different service at Springfield.
 #1519501  by nomis

lordsigma12345 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:59 pm I’d agree they should probably have delayed launch until after this outage.
One can also argue, that they launched service before a busy holiday weekend and college semester move, which may of been a milestone for the service.