Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Interview Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1394969  by jkell1234

First and most importantly what job is it that you applied for? I ask this because there are alot of jobs that require pre-employment testing such as the conductor involves math tests and situation tests and a strength test before they interview you.

I also applied for a position that conducts hiring sessions. Trackman was that position. I was unable to attend so wasn't considered.

I will say one job had this but they never contacted me and its impossible to contact someone if they haven't contacted you it seems because there isn't a contact for the job postings.
 #1395443  by jkell1234

If you don't pass the tests I mentioned you won't be interviewed. Then again where did you apply? When I made it to the interview I applied for Philadelphia where there was supposedly 1240 or so applications for 2 positions they were actually filling , so maybe they do things differently in smaller locations I don't know. I was one of 12, but didn't get selected. My status didn't change from the original your application is under review to the we look forward to meeting you message until after I was notified that I had passed my strength test.
 #1395969  by jkell1234

Have you gotten any update or contacted by a recruiter yet? I will break down my experience with the process.

I got a phone call from a recruiter inviting me to test. I was also e-mailed forms to fill and bring with me.

Day of test I had 3 tests, situation and memorization test, math test(no calculator) and then personality test. Don't read too much into the schpeel they give. They may sound like its a sure thing.

Anyway 2 weeks later i received an e-mail from recruiter informing that I had passed the tests and was going to be scheduled for a strength test. I took the strength test on a friday and received results that monday and was notified that I was moving forward, that my test was good.

My interview was then conducted and once again they kind of threw mixed signals like making me think the job was going to be mine, essentially like everyone being interviewed would be offered a job. Remember they technically invested money in sending you for the strength test. Isn't cheap. It was after the interview the recruiter in closing was saying that there were 12 interviews and 2 positions available. Instantly the air left my lungs, because I know there were more than 2 internal candidates i had met previously that were vying for the jobs.

My location had over 1200 applications, I can only imagine how many were processed in for NY whicch is in the same roster zone.
 #1397965  by jkell1234

Good for you. Hope you get the job. I was unfortunately not offered any position so i went back to my old career where things were more stable. I do still want to be a conductor but who knows