Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak in Miami (Hialeah, Miami Intermodal Center/Airport)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1592167  by Tom V

Gilbert B Norman wrote:I suppose now that NYP-MIA has now been reduced to "one a day" (likely will become permanent; what other LD end points have more?), the congestion issues will be halved.

But there is still the matter of operational efficiency to address that I outlined earlier in the topic.

Finally Mr. Pennsy, let us not lose sight that "The Next Miami" is an architectural community focused publication. They are concerned that an otherwise well-designed structure (I've been there for both Tri-Rail and flights) is not meeting its fully intended use. Amtrak operational efficiency is "not exactly" on their radar screen.
It’s not permanent, it’s bookable starting late March. The Silver Meteor had more ridership in 2019 than almost all Western long distance trains other than the Empire Builder and Coast Starlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #1592172  by lordsigma12345

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:52 am I suppose now that NYP-MIA has now been reduced to "one a day" (likely will become permanent; what other LD end points have more?), the congestion issues will be halved.
Mr. Norman I have to respectively disagree with the likelihood of a permanent discontinuance of the Meteor. The evidence doesn’t really point to that and the trains are in fact still bookable past the March date. If Amtrak intended the status quo to be permanent they would have begun the process of culling their ranks of staff as the current level of staffing isn’t needed for the current schedule. They are in fact still hiring for T&E and OBS with positions posted as recently as this week which would hint at an attempt to get back to the normal operations.

I wouldn’t state that I’m 100% confident they can make the March date given the reports that Amtrak’s HR organization is also reportedly understaffed and with the Amtrak IG’s recent reporting that does not believe they have the resources and manpower to fill positions at the rate needed to meet company goals so we’ll just have to see if they have to extend this.

On your other point related to the topic at hand though I would join you in your skepticism that this development about the MIC will mean much as the Florida DOT May just report that nothing has changed. With a new CEO in place (certainly not new to the front office but now with no boss above him) one cannot be totally sure what his take on it is now that he doesn’t have a CEO to answer to. I guess we’ll have to wait and see what they say.
 #1592528  by Tom V

Pensyfan19 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:26 am Looks like we'll be getting another statement about Amtrak stopping at the Miami Airport...

https://www.thenextmiami.com/update-com ... his-month/
The Florida Department of Transportation is scheduled to provide an update on the status of the Amtrak station planned at the Miami Intermodal Center later this month, according to a tweet from the Miami-Dade Citizens’ Independent Transportation Trust.

The Intermodal Center was built in 2013 in front of Miami International Airport, with the majority of the space dedicated to rental cars.

It also includes Metrorail, Tri-Rail, Greyhound, Megabus, and Metrobus stations, all connected to the airport by people mover.
The meeting was yesterday, any information?
 #1592538  by lordsigma12345

Yes. Believe it or not Amtrak actually approached FDOT in late 2021 interested in resuming talks about moving to the MIC and they began meeting this month. On Saturday they are going to be on site at the MIC surveying and possibly bringing a test train in. A series of meetings to go over next steps will take place in March: if you hit that group’s twitter page you can see the slides. The main reason Amtrak walked away is they were interestingly concerned about the termination clause allowing FDOT to cancel after 5 years if another transportation need arises and that’s where the issue was. Amtrak now has new leadership and more money so it may simply be that they now want to reconsider.
 #1592599  by west point

A test train should have 2 locos with baggage car in front as I cannot see a baggage car at rear due to access! Now is it possible to reactivate the wye north of the station to turn the inbound train? That would mean blocking LaJune Rd to complete the wye move. Plus adding necessary signaling and switch machines.
 #1592601  by bostontrainguy

west point wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:52 pm A test train should have 2 locos with baggage car in front as I cannot see a baggage car at rear due to access! Now is it possible to reactivate the wye north of the station to turn the inbound train? That would mean blocking LaJune Rd to complete the wye move. Plus adding necessary signaling and switch machines.
As you probably know, Florida trains have the baggage car at the rear supposedly to offer a smoother ride for the sleepers which are at rear end of the trains. I'm guessing the baggage car would be off of the existing platforms.

In what seems like a really stupid move, when they built that new crossing at 28th Street purposely for Amtrak trains, they cut off the wye putting a crossing cantilever right in the way! So now you can't turn Amtrak Trains. Seems like a shortsighted move.
 #1592605  by MattW

That wye would also limit Amtrak to two platforms. Even if they did their station work in one of the other two, they would still need one of the two close platforms for headroom to make the wye maneuver.
 #1592637  by RandallW

Wouldn't Amtrak trains still need to use the Hialeah maintenance yard? If so, they can back out of the MIA station to Hialeah, run through the loop, and when ready, back into MIA. The Piedmont trains in NC used to do this to get to their maintenance yard before they were equipped with a locomotive at either end to avoid needing to turn trains in Raleigh or Charlotte.
 #1592640  by bostontrainguy

RandallW wrote:Wouldn't Amtrak trains still need to use the Hialeah maintenance yard? If so, they can back out of the MIA station to Hialeah, run through the loop, and when ready, back into MIA.
Yes. They would need to make a four mile backup move. In Tampa they do a similar move into the station but it is about half that distance.
MattW wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:03 pm That wye would also limit Amtrak to two platforms. Even if they did their station work in one of the other two, they would still need one of the two close platforms for headroom to make the wye maneuver.
I don't understand what you are saying here. Amtrak could use the western platform and the two western tracks. They would not need more.
 #1592661  by bostontrainguy

Posted today on Trainorders:

Yesterday Amtrak ran a test train to the Miami Intermodal station at Miami Airport. Apparently late last year Amtrak approached the state about resuming the discussions to relocate to that stop. Meetings began this month and they ran a test train yesterday to the station. Higher level meetings supposed to take place in March.
 #1592663  by bostontrainguy

bostontrainguy wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:43 pm Surprise, surprise, surprise . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCbmKMH ... azaroLopez
But now that I watched this video it makes no sense . . . .
Somebody help me out here.

I think there must have been two test runs. One facing south and the other facing north.

Also it appears that a typical Silver Meteor size train will fit in the original station platform!!! Maybe they should have done this test before all the fuss about the station being too short and building the 28th Street crossing which eliminated the wye?