Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak in Miami (Hialeah, Miami Intermodal Center/Airport)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1572527  by Gilbert B Norman

Volks, if there are still a "doubting Thomas" or two out there, it's time to accept that the only station in "Miami" Amtrak will serve is the existing facility that actually is in Hialeah.

It's been addressed here that for operations, it's "the hot setup". There's a loop track there (the station was built on former SAL maintenance grounds) which minimizes the "late set copout", and should last minute commissary supplies be needed, it's all there.

Passenger convenience? the only segment of passengers benefitting from the MIC would be those desiring to rent autos. I think that is few in number; in station auto rental facilities have one thing in common - they fold. Taxicabs or "being met" are the usual "last mile" (more likely "last ten miles" considering the station's location). The only possible improvement coming to mind would be if a jitney operator, such as Shuttle America, could assign a bus to the station at train time, but given how the Miami area is so much a "car-centric sprawl", even that could have its limits.

An Amtrak Metrorail "walking transfer" is ill-advised; along with others around here, I've done it in broad daylight. But, laden with luggage - even wheelies, it's not for the "average Amtrak passenger" to consider.

But let me close on an off-topic observation. I do not have any pieces of wheeled luggage to my name. Such would break my travel maxim of "if you can't carry it, don't bring it". However, by the next time I take an overnight trip (baring family emergency), I'll be 80yo, and neighbors who know of my travel maxim are becoming "concerned".
 #1572537  by njtmnrrbuff

I would definately not walk from the Miami Amtrak Station, located in Hialeah, to the Metrorail Transfer Station. Neighborhoods between those stations is questionable at best. If you are renting a car near the Miami Amtrak Station, that helps. If you are taking taxi, Uber, Lyft, or getting picked up by somebody, that's the best transportation from the Amtrak station to your final destination in Miami. Though this may be longer but would save money, might I suggest getting off at Ft. Lauderdale, switching to Tri-Rail, and taking that to the Miami Intermodal Center, and switching to Metrorail there if your actual destination is within easy reach of a Metrorail Station. That way, you do not have to leave stations to make transfers. Soon, you will be able to take Tri-Rail all the way into Downtown Miami-select trains will run to Downtown Miami. This will be great for people who are heading to Downtown Miami as well as the Financial District.
 #1572548  by njtmnrrbuff

I didn't know that about the L bus. I think many people who detrain and board trains at the Miami Amtrak Station get picked up or dropped off. While I have ridden transit buses to connect to Amtrak trains plenty of times, in a place like Miami, I would prefer not to bring my suitcase on a bus. In fact, where I live in the greater NYC area, I often prefer not to involve a transit bus when I'm heading to catch an Amtrak train at one of our stations. Not Amtrak but when I was in the Miami area in Feb of 2014, I actually visited a friend in Ft. Lauderdale and afterwards, I took Tri-Rail to Miami Airport Station, not the MIC. From Miami Airport Station, I took a taxi back to my hotel in Miami Beach. It was after dark and wasn't planning on risking my safety to walk in the neighborhood to either catch a transit bus to Downtown Miami than another one to the beach or do Metrorail to bus. Back to Amtrak Train # 97, I actually did take 97 from NWK to MIA and we are delayed several hours. W/O hesitation, I booked a cab to my hotel which was on the grounds of Miami Int'l Airport.
 #1585947  by Tom V

Amtrak is proposing increasing inter Florida service as part of the Connect US plan, they would increase service to Miami to seven daily (three from Tampa, two from Orlando) with both routes supplemented with the two Silver Service trains.

If they're trying to build a corridor in Florida they have to move the Miami terminus from Hialeah to the Intermodal station. Miami is the largest city in Florida, and the Miami Intermodal is the easiest improvement they can make to make their corridor service attractive. While the Intermodal isn't in downtown like Brightline's, it is a place where existing services are all readily available for transfers to cruises, hotels Uber/Lyfts and rental cars etc.. The yard and service facilities can stay at Hialeah, but they have to have the Miami station at the Intermodal.

https://www.amtrakconnectsus.com/maps/tampa-miami/

https://www.amtrakconnectsus.com/maps/orlando-miami/
 #1586011  by frequentflyer

Tom V wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:17 pm Amtrak is proposing increasing inter Florida service as part of the Connect US plan, they would increase service to Miami to seven daily (three from Tampa, two from Orlando) with both routes supplemented with the two Silver Service trains.

If they're trying to build a corridor in Florida they have to move the Miami terminus from Hialeah to the Intermodal station. Miami is the largest city in Florida, and the Miami Intermodal is the easiest improvement they can make to make their corridor service attractive. While the Intermodal isn't in downtown like Brightline's, it is a place where existing services are all readily available for transfers to cruises, hotels Uber/Lyfts and rental cars etc.. The yard and service facilities can stay at Hialeah, but they have to have the Miami station at the Intermodal.

https://www.amtrakconnectsus.com/maps/tampa-miami/

https://www.amtrakconnectsus.com/maps/orlando-miami/
"If" Amtrak does serve this station it will be with equipment that do not not need to be turned ( the Siemens order) and will not be serviced in the Miami area.
 #1586971  by Jeff Smith

Amtrak has missed the cruise on intra-Florida service. Get it?! Seriously, at this point, why? Brightline is getting close to completion on MCO; Disney won't be far behind once they figure out the route. Tampa is probably a bit further off. Amtrak never made a serious pass at East Coast service on the FEC; Brightline could probably start their own service there reasonably quickly on the FEC ROW with a dedicated track, all the upgrades needed, and a few stations. Keep the LD service, but Amtrak expansion $$$ is better spent elsewhere.
 #1592152  by Pensyfan19

Looks like we'll be getting another statement about Amtrak stopping at the Miami Airport...

https://www.thenextmiami.com/update-com ... his-month/
The Florida Department of Transportation is scheduled to provide an update on the status of the Amtrak station planned at the Miami Intermodal Center later this month, according to a tweet from the Miami-Dade Citizens’ Independent Transportation Trust.

The Intermodal Center was built in 2013 in front of Miami International Airport, with the majority of the space dedicated to rental cars.

It also includes Metrorail, Tri-Rail, Greyhound, Megabus, and Metrobus stations, all connected to the airport by people mover.
 #1592162  by Gilbert B Norman

I suppose now that NYP-MIA has now been reduced to "one a day" (likely will become permanent; what other LD end points have more?), the congestion issues will be halved.

But there is still the matter of operational efficiency to address that I outlined earlier in the topic.

Finally Mr. Pennsy, let us not lose sight that "The Next Miami" is an architectural community focused publication. They are concerned that an otherwise well-designed structure (I've been there for both Tri-Rail and flights) is not meeting its fully intended use. Amtrak operational efficiency is "not exactly" on their radar screen.