Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Empire Builder 2nd Daily Frequency Chicago - St Paul

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1261668  by AMTK1007

Yeah, it's going to happen May 7th.. that is all I will say so as to not offend anyone.

(and for the record I am NOT against stopping at SPUD)
 #1261685  by 25Hz

Any plans for underneath the elevated section(s)?
 #1262370  by jhdeasy

As of 1230 EDT April 7, Amtrak's website makes no mention of trains 7/27 and 8/28 stopping at St Paul Union Depot starting today. Everything still points to the Midway Station, rather than SPUD.

Are there any support facilities (HEP and potable water) for private car parking at SPUD, or will that still be provided by means of a service (non-passenger) stop with switching at Midway Station?

Doesn't Amtrak operate a CHI-MSP coach on the rear of the Empire Builder? If that car line still operates, will that coach still be picked up and set out at Midway Station, rather than SPUD?
 #1262404  by mtuandrew

There are support facilities to some extent (def. HEP, not sure about septic or water), but cars will still be spotted at Midway. Talk to MNNR if you want it elsewhere. Same with the 807/808 coach for the time being, unless someone buys the RCRRA a Trackmobile.
 #1262425  by shadyjay

jhdeasy wrote:As of 1230 EDT April 7, Amtrak's website makes no mention of trains 7/27 and 8/28 stopping at St Paul Union Depot starting today. Everything still points to the Midway Station, rather than SPUD.
Still one month to go... May 7 according to posts above.
 #1262527  by lirr42

If you believe everything you read on Wikipedia, Amtrak moved out of Midway last month!
 #1264122  by mtuandrew

Looks like Amtrak finally acknowledged the move on their site. http://blog.amtrak.com/2014/04/watch-st ... customers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Customers planning to ride our Empire Builder through St. Paul, Minn., this summer are in for a treat. A total restoration of St. Paul Union Depot (affectionately called "SPUD" by savvy travelers) is now complete, and beginning May 7, Amtrak will begin service to the magnificent building.

The service will begin before the celebrations on May 10 for National Train Day, a free day of family-friendly festivities across the country.
The Ramsey County Regional Railroad Authority also included a video - watch it here: http://youtu.be/9axqB-akv2Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1267602  by ThirdRail7

A test train is headed to this station on the 7(3). It will operate on all tracks on the 4th before returning back to Chi on 5th.
 #1276085  by gokeefe

Amtrak has now been at St. Paul for a little over a month. Initial videos of the first train left something to be desired. However, this video of the second train coming was right on the money and captured the moment almost perfectly.
 #1276089  by gokeefe

One more quick look on May 9, 2014. Train arrives on videographers side of platform and passengers are silhouetted in the shadow of the canopy.
 #1307433  by gokeefe

The Ramsey County Regional Railroad Authority has posted the full version on YouTube of a documentary that was made about the renovation of St. Paul Union Station.

I was very surprised at how comprehensive the reconstruction was. Most of the press has emphasized the restoration of the waiting room but in truth the track platform work and surrounding grounds was a far more significant portion of the job. There was an extraordinary amount of attention given to the historic portions of the structure, much of it in ways or places that would not at all be obvious.

One of the most gratifying scenes is at the end when retired railroad employees came to the Grand Reopening wearing their old uniforms. They were obviously quite touched. One of the first arrivals of the Empire Builder is the final cut.
 #1307441  by Tadman

Reminds me of KC union station. A giant 20-track station sitting on top of three active tracks for one train/day in each direction. (I think KCUS sees 3/day in each direction).
 #1307446  by gokeefe

The thought crossed my mind as well. KCY is served by the Southwest Chief (2x trains daily, one each way) to Chicago and the Missouri River Runner to St. Louis (4x trains daily, two each way).

One of the statements from the movie that struck me was something to the effect of how the station would never again see 200 trains/day or need all of its platforms. I certainly am not predicting otherwise but I did note that as designed the planners made it relatively easy for platforms to be converted back to passenger train use should then need arise.

When I visited Kansas City in 2012 I noted much the same situation. Should the need ever arise it would not be overly complicated to make the necessary changes to increase the capacity of the station to serve rail passengers again.

What was not preserved at MSP were the mail and express facilities underneath the passenger platforms. No loss there whatsoever and the added benefit of new parking allows the station to better serve passengers.
 #1307977  by gokeefe

Friends of the 261 operated a very nice North Pole Express Christmas train for children from the new passenger platform at St. Paul Union Depot.

This should bring back some memories.